Angel wing???

Glenda Heywood
ANGEL WINGIN Kildare Poultry
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Health/Def/angelwing.html
Angel wing can be caused genetically, but is usually the result of too high a protein level in the feed, causing the feathers to grow faster than the skeleton can support.
Here's a downloadable film on taping the growing wing. Note that the link doesn't seem to work on my Mac but was available on a PC.
A Muscovy Duck showing angel wing
Photo courtesy of Julie Hendricks
FROM BYC
Kawonu posted Don't use duct tape. Use 3M Vet Wrap. Its self adhesive and will not stick to their feathers. Start with keeping it taped up for a couple days. Take off and see if it took. I've done 3 birds including a gosling now and its worked every time.
DE poted The chicks grower is what you needed them on. I always put scratch grain with mine after they get older (about 4 weeks)...The angel wing are from to much protein..Hope this helps...
Wifezilla posted The protein causes angel wing theory is just that...a theory. Many of us do not blame protein, but high levels of carbohydrates from corn and soy along with a lack of fresh greens. There also appears to be a genetic component.
Vet wrap your duck and get some fresh greens in to the diet ASAP regardless of what type of feed you use.
Kawonu posted agree with Wifezilla....I think the too much protein is just a theory. I raise lots of ducks and have only had a few with this problem. I've read that it is genetic. The vet tape works. Do give some greens too.
Tiffany posted Thanks for all the good info. I too am afraid that a few of my ducks have angel wing. Last year I fed the same thing, kept the ducks in the brooder longer and had no problem. This year they were outside with access to grass at 3 1/2 week and it appears that 4-5 of my 11 ducks may have it. I've ready about the too much protein theory and the thought that it might just be genetic. Anybody have any thoughts on these? I'd like to fix the problem early but my ducks are far from tame, rather large now at 6 weeks and I'm not sure taping is practical for me. Will this have any affects on the ducks later in life? I have breeds that won't fly anyway. Thanks
Glenda Heywoodell my tHoughts are yes too high protein feed
BUT IT IS GENETIC AND THEY ARE NOT GOOD TO BREED FROM
So cull the lot and get new stock
Angel wing
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Image showing an example of a Muscovy duck with angel wing
Angelwing2.jpg
Angel wing, also known as airplane wing,[1] slipped wing, crooked wing, and drooped wing, is a syndrome that affects primarily aquatic birds, such as geese and ducks, in which the last joint of the wing is twisted with the wing feathers pointing out laterally, instead of lying against the body. Males develop it more frequently than females. It has also been reported in goshawks, bustard chicks, and psittacine birds (budgerigars, macaws, and conures).[2]
The syndrome manifests as an incurable[citation needed] anatomical condition which is acquired in young birds. Due to a high-calorie diet, especially one high in proteins and/or low in vitamin D, vitamin E, and manganese, one or both carpus (wrist) joints are retarded in their development relative to the rest of the wing; for reasons unknown, if only one wing is affected, it is usually the left one. The result is a wrist which is twisted outwards and unable to perform its usual function. Angel wing symptoms include stripped remiges (flight feathers) in the wrist area, or remiges protruding from wings at odd angles. In extreme cases, the stripped feathers may resemble sickly blue straws protruding from wings. In adult birds, the disease is incurable and usually leads to an early death, as affected birds are rendered effectively or totally flightless.[3] In young birds, wrapping the wing and binding it against the bird's flank, together with feeding the bird a more nutritionally balanced diet, can reverse the damage.
The theorized causes of angel wing are genetics, the excessive intake of carbohydrates[3] and proteins,[1][4] together with insufficient intake of vitamin E,[4] low dietary calcium[1] and manganese deficiency.[1] Angel wing is occasionally observed in waterfowl residing near humans, (including domestic fowl), and the disease can sometimes be observed in areas where geese or ducks are excessively fed bread. Other examples are not fed bread at all.[3] Some have refrained from feeding waterfowl white bread, popcorn, or other human foodstuffs without a noticeable change in the incidence of the deformity.[3][4] Duck seed is an alternative for duck feeders.

Angel Wing
Angel wing can be caused genetically, but is usually the result of too high a protein level in the feed, causing the feathers to grow faster than the skeleton can support.
feathersite.com

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

Glenda Heywood

Possible Treatments (discuss with vet):
•In adult wild birds the disease is incurable and usually leads to an early death as affected birds are rendered effectively or totally flightless.

•In young birds wrapping the wing and binding it against the bird's flank for a few days, together with feeding the bird a more natural diet, can reverse the damage.

•If diet is the primary issue, reducing the protein by adding wheat to the birds' feed may be recommended. A diet that provides sufficient amounts of vitamin D (the "sunshine" vitamin), vitamin E and manganese may also be indicated.
Researched by

Species Research by Sibylle Johnson

For updates please follow BeautyOfBirds on Google+ (google.com/+Avianweb)

Avianweb / BeautyofBirds.com - Google+
plus.google.com

Glenda Heywood
Incubation: A possible role of incorrect incubation conditions and/or hatching problems has also been suggested.

•Injury: Mechanical damage to the wing may precipitate the problem in some cases.

•Genetics: ◦Males may be more susceptible than females.
◦It is also possible that the cause could be genetic, as the same breeding pair can produce several Angel Wing chicks over many broods

Glenda Heywood
Causes:

The disease manifests as an incurable anatomical condition which is acquired in young birds.
•Dietary Factors: May be caused by a high-calorie diet, especially one high in proteins and/or low in vitamin D, vitamin E and manganese, one or both carpus (wrist) joints are retarded in their development relative to the rest of the wing ◦Canada geese fed high protein levels (20%) developed the condition more frequently than those fed lower protein diets (Ref. 1984 Kreeger, T.J. and Walser, M.M. Carpometacarpal deformity in giant Canada geese [Branta canadensis maxima Delacour] 20 245-248)
◦Domestic breeds, which have been bred for rapid weight gain, appear more susceptible.

•Growth Factors: Thought to be related to excessively fast growth in relatively slow-growing temperate and tropical species. Rapid growth of flight feathers (primaries: longest wing feathers - and secondaries: shorter, upper "arm" feathers), exceeds the development of the supporting tissues of the wing. ◦Temperate and tropical species are naturally slower growing and appear to be more susceptible. This condition has not been reported in species which breed in the high Arctic and have naturally very high growth rates.

Glenda Heywood
Symptoms:

The deformed wing developed during growth, resulting in one or both wings sticking out from the body leaving the bird unable to fly. The left wing is more commonly affected than the right wing.

This condition becomes apparent while the flight feathers are growing, with the weight of the primary feathers appearing to be too great for the carpal joint muscles, leading to the dropping wing tip. The primary flight feathers may become damaged.

Angel wing symptoms include stripped flight feathers in the wrist area, or remiges (flight feathers - typically only visible in flight) protruding from wings at odd angles. In some cases, the stripped feathers may resemble sickly blue straws protruding from wings.

This is an interesting read, I had a duck with an angel wing named angel but her wing was twisted from the moment she hatched. It looked as though the bones themselves had never grown right and was completely upside down and tilted outward. Once her feathers grew in it looked like one wing was always opened and to her side though she clearly had it or tried to have it tucked to her side. She lived about a year before my no good neighbor took her and killed her. She seemed to get around normally and it never bothered her though obviously she could never fly or been beat it. She really couldn't pull it away from her body. I always wondered if the bone had broken at a young age and healed wrong or if it had been twisted. I had rescued her from the neighbor who ended up killing her and gave him $2 for her because he was going to kill her and all her siblings. Still not sure why, the guy killed every animal he ever got for unknown reasons including cats and dogs. Could the twisted bone still be considered an angel wing? My grandma is Hungarian and grew up raising many animals on their farm and she said that was what it was and that there was no cure other than culling but they normally didn't cull until the animal was large enough and had meat.

Example problems with angel wings and my ducks and what helps the best would be niacin supplements you can buy them from Walmart or any other store for cheap just get tablets for humans and just sprinkle a little bit in their water and on their food and that helps a lot and it's actually saved a couple of my ducks

Back
Top Bottom