ANGEL WING????

Dogginfox

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ga/ Hayesville, NC
I think my duck might have Angel Wing. He is still fairly young, and has not grown all his adult feathers yet but today i noticed that his left wing tip seems to be pointing away from his body!!!!!!!!! Ill take a pic in the morning and post it for review.

He was fed Purina Start and Grow for the first 3 weeks until I ran out and could not find any locally that was unmedicated so I had to switch him to flock raiser.

Is there anyway to reverse this problem?

From what I have read, it is the level of protein that contributes to this condition. You may want to add rabbit pellets or other vegetable source to the food to lower the protein content. I think the taping procedures posted are the only way to fix it. However, lowering the protein can keep it from progressing and spreading to the other wing. If you feed fresh veggies and fruits, make sure the babies have grit available. I have started only using the flock raiser for my waterfowl, to avoid the protein problem. So far, so good, though most people recommend starter for the first few weeks. Hope you can help it.

Just so you know, it won't hurt the bird unless you wanted to use it for show.

DeAnna

One thing that I did when my duck developed that was to take some tape and after foldong the feathers back where they belonged taped the wing down for about a week. The tape comes off pretty easily without to much trama. Dont use duct tape though, I used the wide masking tape. Good luck, Jenn

It cannot be reversed. I cull all mine who get angel wing.

This year, I have mixed some brewer's yeast in with their food. I haven't seen any angel wings (yet). I'll let you know in 6 months if it worked or not.

I used veterinarian tape to tape my duckling's wing last year and it was treatable. It only sticks to itself.

Angel wing is usually caused from too much protein and can be prevented long term by adding more greens to their diet. I have never had this problem with ducklings raised on grass or by their mommas, only with a duckling raised strictly in a brooder with other chicks that required higher protein feed.

Quote:
Exactly. You'll never find a wild bird with angel wing. I would also follow the recommendations to provide fresh greens. Waterfowl tend to not get enough niacin from commercial feed, and thus is why I supplement the brewer's yeast.

Back
Top Bottom