Angel wing

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Reindeerdreams, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Reindeerdreams

Reindeerdreams Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    How do I fix angel wing in geese and call ducks? I have a call duck that will not keep anything I try on her wing to try and fix angel wing. I finally gave up, but need help to fix it if possible. She is 6 mo old now.

2. She's too old to fix it. You need to wrap their wings when they're little, - 1 mo little

3. zshulfer25

zshulfer25 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Wisconsin
    How long would the wrap need to be on the wing? What kind of material should the wrap be? Do you have any pics on how to do it?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Also kinda off base. But I had a several year old cuban tree duck with angel wing that I decided to try wrapping up for the heck of it ( not long ago) and kept said bird wrapped for a month. thats a long time and I thought that alone may kill it, Granted it didnt totally fix the problem like a perfect deal but now he sure looks and acts alot and I mean really a heck of alot better than what he had looked like. Maybe just maybe mind you it could be set all the way if I kept it going by wrapping it once again If I do decide and try it Ill let you all know. Either way Im happy the way he looks now as opposed to the before by a longshot.. Just so yall know the bird was gave to me and was going to be put down anyway if I didnt want it. But theres a little if not alot of hope to you Reindeerdreams. Miss Lydia have you or anyone heard of anyone besides me doing this to an older bird by chance? Longer term wrapping? I havent. BTW my bird is still looking the same and hasnt reverted to awful looking like it was . Been two months now. Who knows maybe I just got lucky but there ya go. Thats why I wanted to share it

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    And thank you for sharing, I would try it for sure, can't hurt and my just help. I for one don't like to give up. lol and now you have stirred my curiosity what does a cuban tree duck look like destin? And I have not seen anyone try to correct angel wing on an older bird. so this is very encouraging.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  7. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    [​IMG]
    here they are and I hate to say it but I looked at the one just a second ago (not pictured here) and it does indeed looks like he might be revirting back somewhat now so maybe no sorry to say. Ill keep you posted. And again it is better than what I had still.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are so pretty, how awesome to be able to share life with such gorgeous birds. Aww to bad have you trimmed off the feathers sticking out?

9. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Thank you. No I never did when I wrapped it. The long primaries really kinda helped me when I did the wrap. I used ace bandage cut in 1inch strips with duct tape to hold it. LOL! Yes I lose some feathers but it doesnt come off,Time will tell if my job was temporary or what. Like I said earlier nothing ventured ...nothing gained.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Always worth a try, and good to know that angel wing doesn't mean anything except looks. No health concerns in other words.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by