Angel Wing?

Kaessa

Songster
8 Years
Jan 23, 2015
Fruita, CO

Everyone else's wingtips tuck up neatly under their wings, but Abba's are sticking out a bit and don't really tuck under. I tried to get some pictures , but she is great at moving right as I snap the picture.

It's worse in her left wing, and you can see it really well in the second and third pictures.

Is that what it looks like? And if it IS angel wing, can someone direct me to a video that explains how to put the vet wrap on her to fix it?

We're also switching from Flock Raiser to a lower protein food first thing tomorrow. For some reason I didn't realize Flock Raiser has 20% protein.

Its hard to tell if its angel wing. Last year my muscovy drake duckling looked like he had angel wing. He dragged his wings on the ground. It turns out that when they are getting their wing feathers its very heavy. It took a couple of months but he was fine. His wings were just too heavy.

I agree it's really hard to tell by those photos, but if you say it's affecting the left wing a bit more than I'm leaning towards it being AW. For some unknown reason the left side usually gets it more. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Switching to the lower protein food is good. Those lil' nub wings are still super tiny, so you can probably go another week or so and watch her carefully. If the wingtip is rotated out to the side so she looks like a tiny pincushion, then you're gonna want to wrap her wings up for a few days.

I'll keep an eye on her. She's just now 4 weeks old, so if it IS angel wing I think it's plenty early to fix it. She's just a huge duck and she's grown so fast. She's a lot bigger than the other ducks... almost as tall as the adult girls already!

I think you've got plenty of time to treat it if it gets any worse. :) If it does turn out to be AW, the best advice I can give is to use paper tape, NOT veterinary tape! Learned that one the hard way with Wobbles. x_x;; It may seem counterintuitive since it's so flimsy and comes off in water, but it's way easier to have to re-wrap her a couple of times a day than spending an hour trying to gently remove firmly stuck tape adhesive off of a very angry duck!

I think you've got plenty of time to treat it if it gets any worse. :) If it does turn out to be AW, the best advice I can give is to use paper tape, NOT veterinary tape! Learned that one the hard way with Wobbles. x_x;; It may seem counterintuitive since it's so flimsy and comes off in water, but it's way easier to have to re-wrap her a couple of times a day than spending an hour trying to gently remove firmly stuck tape adhesive off of a very angry duck!

I thought about using the stretchy vet wrap stuff. I use it on my dogs all the time and I love it, and it cuts off really easily. I'll see if I can find some decent sized paper tape.

I thought about using the stretchy vet wrap stuff. I use it on my dogs all the time and I love it, and it cuts off really easily. I'll see if I can find some decent sized paper tape.

That was my thinking too, but the problem is that stuff's designed to stay put. And when you're dealing with duckling fuzz and brand new blood feathers, it just makes for a disastrous combination!

That was my thinking too, but the problem is that stuff's designed to stay put. And when you're dealing with duckling fuzz and brand new blood feathers, it just makes for a disastrous combination!

I will definitely remember that!

Well, I'm pretty sure it's angel wing. Looking at her this morning, and both wingtips are sticking out from her body at almost 90 degrees. So, when Brian gets home from work this evening, we're going to wrap her up. I'm not EVEN going to attempt it on my own, especially since Abba is our "OMG DON'T PICK ME UP" duck.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's angel wing. Looking at her this morning, and both wingtips are sticking out from her body at almost 90 degrees. So, when Brian gets home from work this evening, we're going to wrap her up. I'm not EVEN going to attempt it on my own, especially since Abba is our "OMG DON'T PICK ME UP" duck.
Looks like the start of aw to me. One of mine got it as well. I personally think it's more genetic than with the protein content. All of mine got the same thing, flock raiser, only one got it. I caught it early like you are and it was fixed in a day. It was actually really easy to wrap because they are so little you don't have to fight them as much.

Back
Top Bottom