Angel

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TommyDaDelaware, Oct 11, 2013.

1. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is where a post goes for this, but I've been following a wild goose with angel wings... I actually named her tonight, Angel. And I wanted to make Angel known to everyone else. I need to get a hold of the Wildlife services/animal control/ Bay Beach Wildlife sanctuary about her, but I don't really know how to go about that. But I decided I'd keep you guys up to date, if you wanted to know about her.

She is a Canada Goose, and for lack of knowing if she is actually a she, i just call her a she. lol. She is a cool goose to watch, but everyone (IE the other geese) Push her out and pull her wing. Being picked on as a kid myself is probably why i sided so sympathetically with this honker. I found her tonight again, after not seeing her for a week. She was alone with a couple of mallards, eating alga off of the wall of a dam. Here are some pics of Angel. (Let me know if you guys want to keep hearing about Angel. [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Not sure that's angel wing...actually looks more like an injury that has healed.

Clint

3. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Yes, please keep us up on Angel. What a nice name for the goose. It is so hard to watch the geese be alone because of a wing disorder, either angel wing or and injury. The well ones just pick on injured ones all the time.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2 I'd like to read updates... Bless you for caring.

5. TommyDaDelaware

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    Going off on a walk again today. Will bring updates on Angel's location! ;)

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

7. TommyDaDelaware

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    Well I found her again, and watched her try to fly down into the water. More of an ungraceful belly flop.. So i called the campus Safety... (yes, school campus safety bout a goose) and someone came down.. I found out that the flock stays around here year round, and nearer to the bridge, the water stays open year round as well. Also, this being a college, people tend to feed the geese. Angel Is a member of the flock that resides here year round, so we won't have to worry about her starving. And in the windy days i guess some geese huddle down by the boathouse where we keep the rowing shells.
    That's about all I have. And some Pics of course!!
    So hopefully Angel will just be a goose in the flock that all admire and feed. :) It's good to know though that she won't be left behind by all the others flying south, because they dont.. They are almost domestic Pets. Lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] these are 2 of the others in Angel's Flock.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's amazing they stick around that far north, I have heard that diet can have a lot to do with angel wing especially in wild geese and ducks that are not feed properly, a lot of junk food. bread and such isn't good for them. Too bad the campus doesn't have money for proper feed and can educate the students on how to take care of these geese. I know that's asking a lot though, Thanks for sharing and finding the info about them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Good to hear that Angel has geese friends and is being fed. Maybe the campus students can be educated about wild geese and maybe go in on some waterfowl feed or gamebird feed to feed off an on to help have a good diet.. You just never knows who care about the wild geese. I wonder if the campus people could get together and purchase one of those feeders where you put in money and get feed from it if that would help feed them better feed? Just a crazy thought from me.
    Then the money they make off of the people paying say a certain amount for a handful of feed could help feed the geese more properly.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by