Angelwing genetic or nutritional?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by houndit, Sep 3, 2009.

1. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I have been wondering if Angel Wing is genetic or Nutritional. I at first thought it was nutritional. I had a really pretty Muscovy drake with Angel wing given to me. I used him and none of the babies were deformed. However, I have been wondering if it is genetic? I got ducks from Holdereads and one of them has angel wing. I figured if I complained he would say it was because of my feeding program. However I have never before had any bird develop angelwing on this farm until this year. One Mallard from a hatchery and one of Holdereads ducks have it. The hatchery one I am not surprised. I was a little surprised that the one from Dave Holderead had it. Our feed has not changed only different ducks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    It is *supposed* to be nutritional. However, as with many things, there could easily be a genetic component to a bird's *susceptibility* to it -- for instance, a fast-growing bird might be more likely to develop it than a slow-growing one.

I also have one duck with angel wing. Interestingly she did not develop it until after she got onto pasture, even though it is usually associated with feed.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Even within a flock where only one bird develops it, it could be nutritional. For some reason that particular bird cannot correctly process the foods she/he eats, resulting in an excess or deficit of some nutrients.

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told, by Chris Ashton, it was too much protein at a certain point in development causing too rapid growth in flights & making them heavier than their developing muscles can hold.
    I've had angel wing in my waterfowl; it can be corrected if one catches it as it starts to happen & straps up the wing in the correct position. It can also be avoided if one feeds lower protein rations & more grass.

5. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:That "some reason" can easily be genetic. [​IMG]

6. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:There seems to be an ongoing debate on whether the nutritional problem is actually too much protein or too much carbohydrate. I haven't done enough research on it to know how that debate is coming out. But it was interesting to me that my bird didn't develop the problem until AFTER it went out on grass, since I have often seen the recommendation of adding greens (grass etc) to the diet to prevent it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  7. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Thank you for the responses! I still do not know why none of the birds from my stock get it. That is O.K. Thank you for your assistance.

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i no im prob a lil late but i hear it was nutritional and it was from too much protein and i have a question on this subject (not to hijack this thread) is angelwing only in ducks or is it just muscovies or can chickens get it too???

9. Krys109uk

There seems to be an ongoing debate on whether the nutritional problem is actually too much protein or too much carbohydrate. I haven't done enough research on it to know how that debate is coming out. But it was interesting to me that my bird didn't develop the problem until AFTER it went out on grass, since I have often seen the recommendation of adding greens (grass etc) to the diet to prevent it.

That's interesting. Chris told me that a good few years ago when I was very much into showing waterfowl (I did waterfowl before getting into chickens). The established "knowledge" could easily have changed by now LOL.
    In UK we are told that, at least in the summer, adult geese are best with only grass, supplimented with wheat (we have rich lush grass, probably due to frequent rain). I don't think it was ever suggested to me that greens be added to prevent angel wing, as such, just that grass is a far more natural diet for geese.
    In my case the protein thing seemed to hold true, as I had been feeding a certain type of diet, but couldn't be sure.
    How very interesting that yours didn't get angel wing until after being put on grass....curious. [​IMG]
    Still, if one catches it quickly it is correctable so at least that helps even if one doesn't know the precise cause.​

10. Krys109uk

is angelwing only in ducks or is it just muscovies or can chickens get it too???

Certainly in waterfowl. I'd have thought, if dietry, it could affect chickens but I have never seen this.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by