Angled legs? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenwomen7, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Chickenwomen7

Chickenwomen7 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    Most of our chickens legs go straight down like normal chicken legs but one( out of 7) has angled legs and she (or he) can't really walk and is constantly laying down they are all only 15 weeks old so not laying eggs yet... Please help! I will add a picture when I can!
    ReplyQuote Multi

2. Chickenwomen7

Chickenwomen7 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You should be able to post pictures after 10 posts, so get to posting, LOL. Has this chicken always had the leg problems? Many leg and foot deformities happen from vitamin /mineral deficiency of the mother hen, or incubator temperatures/humidity fluctuation. I'm not sure if your chicken has perosis or a slipped achilles tendon, or some other problem. The picture would help. Unfortunately, unless many problems are corrected within the first few days, it is almost impossible to help them. Here is a good link for dealing with orthopedic problems: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The link to your picture is not showing up. Just go to the Forum and make some comments on a few other threads.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  5. Chickenwomen7

Chickenwomen7 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are the pics @Eggcessi

6. Chickenwomen7

Chickenwomen7 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    @Eggcessive

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You have a very pretty chicken--is it an easter egger? From the picture I would wonder if your chicken doesn't have tenosynovitis which is a type of arthritis caused by a virus or reovirus. Is there any swelling of the joint or upper leg? Does she ever walk on her elbow? I'm not positive but Mareks disease may cause walking on the elbows. Was she vaccinated? Here is some information to read about tenosynovitis: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/viral_arthritis/overview_of_viral_arthritis_in_poultry.html

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by