Angora fiber

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lyric, Sep 16, 2011.

1. lyric

lyric Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Sunny FL
    "I harvest my frenchies twice a year, mainly because they show rabbits and the longer the wool the better. The raw fiber sells by the pound and it varies greatly depending on where you are, what color it is, etc. You can easily spin it with a lace weight drop spindle or an electric one. "

Hello, anyone know where I may purchase a lace weight drop spindle. Some of the artisans on Etsy are out of town, etc. I did not see much on eBay. I have one spindle is it absolutely NOT possible to spin any fiber on any spindle? Oh, I did see some $64 . . . NOT. Won't spend that much because my ultimate goal is a spinning wheel. I'm just doing this to get my feet wet.

Thanks.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

3. lyric

lyric Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Sunny FL
    GOT IT! Good looking out, DebiR. Thank you.

eta: I actually attempted spinning on my first one. Now mind you, I've watched SEVERAL You Tube vids about it. Not a problem. Easy peasey.

PULLEAZE. Oh my gawd did I feel stupid, [​IMG]. So funny. My leader thread (came with it) kept sliding off the long stick shafty part. Now mind you, I'm doing this call myself showing my husband. He had asked how to join two ends. You Tube pro that I am, I'm like, "Oh, it's easy, I'll show you. Sit right here." And I commenced a showin'; oh yeah, you shoulda seen the leader thread coming off two or three times, oh and the lump where I joined two, [​IMG].

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. debilorrah

Quote:Actually, it's really easy to crochet with lumpy yarn. Don't toss it. You will see.

5. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I saw from a Youtube video, this woman who used to make lumpy (thick and thin) yarn on her wheel. She said she loved the way it made nice textures, but now that she's better at spinning she can't get that nice texture anymore!

6. debilorrah

Quote:That is right!!! I am still a newbie at spinning and I am not going to toss the lumpy yarn. Heck NO!!!

7. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    i felt the same way, saw some youtube vids, got a lovely spindle and some nice roving...thought hey this looks easy...yeah not so much.

i started doing more searching and learned more about pre-drafting ect and watched vids of alternatve methods and i finally found a method that worked for me that feels realy good to play with, im still no pro, but i found pre-drafting made the world of difference for me!

8. CYGChickies

CYGChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    I admire you guys so much! Both for being able to spin and also for being able to take care of those big beautiful Angoras. Without you guys, people like me--who are too scared to take on Angoras--would never see them and enjoy these beauties at shows and fairs!

CYG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by