Angora goats - anybody have any?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Sep 17, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    What are your thoughts/opinions on raising these animals? Anyone have any for sale in Ohio?

Thank you!

2. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have some angoras. I'm just getting started with them (had them about a year). They are really laid back for goats (which is great) but need to be sheared twice a year.

3. feathersgalore

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Here's a picture of a couple of my goats. I also have 2 white goats.

[​IMG]

4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have Alpines, Nubians & Nigerian Dwarfs. How much do Angoras run? They sure are pretty. I am a dog groomer so shearing an Angora would be no problem. Always wanted to try that....[​IMG] Might be fun to add a couple Angora to the herd.

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    They are adorable. There aren't many Angora breeders here in GA...and I have no idea how they're priced.

There is a farm close to me that breeds Nigoras (Nigerian x Angora) and they are so cute, as are the Pygoras. It's a good thing I don't have any, I wouldn't get anything done for being out in the barn running my fingers through that soft fiber!

6. feathersgalore

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Price really depends on the quality and whether breeding stock or wethers. Mine are all wethers (great for fiber only) and have run around $75. Most breeding stock runs $300+. They are great goats!

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    They are beautiful!!!! Great pics!!!!! We decided to pass on them because we don't have alot of room. I've also heard that goats can't eat just grass or they will get sick and die; I guess they fill up with gas? That's what I've heard anyway; not sure if it's true but afraid to take a chance. We don't have alot of scrub or brush for them to eat. Maybe someday but they are very pretty.

8. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    Wow I got to get me some of them they are awesome looking!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by