Angora Rabbits Co- located inside chicken enclosure?

How viable is my idea?

• Viable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hello! I am-- thankfully-- going to be obtaining two angora rabbits this new years, and am considering putting their cages inside the chicken coop (elavated). My thoughts are that the poops can fall through the cages bottom, into the chicken coop for the chickens to eat. And the rabbits can spend their time roaming around with the chickens, on occasion.

Thoughts? Bad idea? Good idea? Any experience with this? I live in a sub tropical climate, it doesnt get below 30 degreese here. So ive been told outside is ok for rabbits in those conditions. Let me know if thats not right!

Thanks all.
~God Bless~:bun:bun:bun

Any situation that puts Angora rabbits and dirt together is a bad idea. They have very fine fur which will mat up unless groomed at least once a week; putting that in contact with the moisture and mess of a chicken run is asking for them to get really nasty. Maybe you were planning on shaving them frequently? That's how a lot of breeders cope with the matting problem on all but their show rabbits.

I live in a sub tropical climate, it doesnt get below 30 degreese here.

Actually, it does get below 30° here; we typically get a few weeks' worth of nights in the mid-to-upper 20's every year. It's not unheard of for us to get down to the teens on occasion, though staying below freezing for more than 48 hours at a stretch is a bit unusual (our all-time record low of 0°F was set Christmas of 1989). So, though you won't be struggling to get liquid water to your rabbits for months on end, it is something you will have to deal with at least a few times each winter. As long as your rabbits have good shelter, cold won't be a big issue (except for water). Heat is more of a problem, but once again, shelter from the sun (plus good ventilation) makes outdoor rabbit keeping doable here.

Any situation that puts Angora rabbits and dirt together is a bad idea. They have very fine fur which will mat up unless groomed at least once a week; putting that in contact with the moisture and mess of a chicken run is asking for them to get really nasty. Maybe you were planning on shaving them frequently? That's how a lot of breeders cope with the matting problem on all but their show rabbits.

Actually, it does get below 30° here; we typically get a few weeks' worth of nights in the mid-to-upper 20's every year. It's not unheard of for us to get down to the teens on occasion, though staying below freezing for more than 48 hours at a stretch is a bit unusual (our all-time record low of 0°F was set Christmas of 1989). So, though you won't be struggling to get liquid water to your rabbits for months on end, it is something you will have to deal with at least a few times each winter. As long as your rabbits have good shelter, cold won't be a big issue (except for water). Heat is more of a problem, but once again, shelter from the sun (plus good ventilation) makes outdoor rabbit keeping doable here.
Ok! Thank you for the input. Yes, my chicken run does not contain dirt, it's sand, but was referring to having the bunnies roam on the grass yard with the chickens, on occasion. Was thinking that would be ok with the delicate fur.

Back
Top Bottom