angora rabbitts?

juliacale

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 21, 2007
Does anyone here own angora rabbitts for shearing?

Where do you get them/more info on them/how hard are they to take care of?

HI juliacale I have been asking myself the samething that is the type of bunny rabbit my daughter wants for 4-H and as a pet. If you go to yahoo and do a search threr is a lot of info there but I have yet to find anyone with them around me.

And last but not least welcome to the board
frow.gif
big_smile.png

We rescued an angora rabbit. I wouldn't recommend them too highly unless you are specifically raising them for their wool. The wool care is time consuming, and the rabbit isn't really fond of it. Plus he can't get any good outside time because junk gets in his wool and then has to be removed, which he hates.
Also temperature is a REAL concern in the summer. All rabbits are very susceptible to heatstroke, and with all that fur angoras are exquisitely so. You have to have a plan for cooling them when the temp gets over 90 or so. They are also more susceptible to wool block, which is fast and deadly.
I do have to say that he is a pretty nice rabbit. He's an un-neutered buck and we haven't had any problems with aggression. All in all I mostly feel sorry for him with all that wool. My husband an I joke that he must have done something moderately bad in a past life to be cursed with all that very hair!
You need to find a breeder to get one, that might be accomplished through 4H.

I have an english angora as a house pet. She is wonderful. I keep her trimmed very close, especially in the summer except for her ears and tail. she is adorable like that. Looks like she is going to lift off with those ears. I got mine from a breeder but she is no longer raising Angora's. did you specifically want the wool?

TJ

I used to have Angora rabbits. They are lovely pets. They do require a lot of maintenance, though.

About every 3 months, they will naturally shed, they will not shed like a dog or horse, the hair will just come out easier. You can clip them with scissors or pull the hair at these times. If you plan on spinning the hair, I have been told that it is best combined with sheep's wool. Also spinners prefer pulled hair as opposed to cut hair.

If she wants to show the rabbit, the show will seem to fall on the time that the rabbit is shedding!!!

There are some good websites about Angora rabbits. Here are a couple of them.

http://www.angorarabbit.com/angora/
http://www.nationalangorarabbitbreeders.com/angora.html

Jean

Back
Top Bottom