Angry at the people in my life..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Darklingstorm, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Back when I thought about getting chickens, my friends and family were so excited about the opportunity to get fresh eggs. Everyone told me how they would buy them or help feed them in exchange for the eggs. I now have 9 laying hens and 4 more pullets to start in December. However I also have 5 dozen eggs in my refrigerator and last week I cooked up 4 dozen and feed it to the chickens and dogs. Were are all those eager people that wanted to buy eggs? I'm having to give eggs away just to keep my numbers down. The only regular buyer is my DH's boss. I'm also buying 50 lbs of feed a week.

Same thing happens when I plant a garden. No one wants to help. No one wants to buy my veggies. But they are all more than willing to take them for free. I personally would feel bad to just take something for free when I know how much work or money someone has put into the item. I at least offer to pay for the items.

So now I'm torn on what to do with my flock. I've tried selling a few without any luck (Craig's list). I'm going to try the Poultry Auction they have here but I'm worried about exposing my girls to all the strange chickens and not being able to sell them. I really don't have a place to keep them quarantined for a month if they don't sell, which is why I only get day-old chicks.

Next year I'm also only planting enough in my garden to feed my family of 3. I've learned how to can, so any extras will now get canned or frozen. I'm so tired of working to feed lazy, selfish people. Let them go to a store and buy their chemical processed foods and chemically enhanced meats. This free charity house just closed it's doors.
    [​IMG]

**edited title. Do not use symbols to bypass the censor.**

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  2. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    The guy who owns the liquor store in town trades eggs for beer. Just sayin'

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I know how you feel, and it does well, suck. First off, do what makes you happy. Having birds and a garden relaxes me. My eggs always sell so I am very fortunate. As for the garden of goodies-I tell my "friends" "Gee, whatever I can't sell I donate to the local food pantry and I get a tax break so I can buy seeds, etc for next year and they get to give out delicious home grown veggies" Most people don't question that logic and if they do they "suck".

Be well and love what you do.

4. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    I hear ya....everybody keeps bringing me empty cartons, expecting some free eggs. I do give away eggs to individuals who have been very generous with their time (for my sick husband) and my daughter came home from school last week telling me her friend's mom lost her job, so naturally she brought a dozen eggs over to her house. I decided with all these eggs, I plan to do a lot of baking for Christmas presents this year.I'm starting this weekend...cookies freeze very well....

5. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    I know eggxactly how you feel, I feel lucky just giving em away sometimes, I hate to see them wasted. I know alot of people seem to have an aversion to homegrown food like its dirty or something lol. The first person I tried to give eggs to asked me what she was supposed to do with them lol.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Guess it's time to eat some hens... and figure out what else is eating your feed. 50lbs of feed lasts my current 10 hens about a month.

Many in the world just wait for a hand out. I raise what I like for myself.... and for handouts, spend about $5 to grow a box full of 3 week old basil starts to hand out... that is it.

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Quote:That's what I was thinking, that is ALOT of feed for them to go thru. Keep the chickens for your sanity, and donate the eggs to a restaurant in exchange for lunch, or to a food bank, or learn to make mayo. Do what you want and the flock with everyone else!

8. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Quote:That's what I was thinking, that is ALOT of feed for them to go thru. Keep the chickens for your sanity, and donate the eggs to a restaurant in exchange for lunch, or to a food bank, or learn to make mayo. Do what you want and the flock with everyone else!

x3. I have 10 hens and 3 roosters, and they don't go through anywhere near 50 lbs a week. I don't free-range, but do give treats (weeds, spent garden plants, leftovers) and a little scratch 2x a day. You can also put an ad in Craig's List, or a small sign in your front yard, when you have excess eggs you want to sell. I get $3/dozen when I have extras, and have people wanting more. I'm expanding my flock! It's so worth having them for the therapy and stress relief they supply.

9. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    The first thing that popped out to me too was where is all that feed going???? I have 23 Muscovies and 16 chickens (6 are banties) and go through 50 lbs a week. Have you asked the people that were interested in the eggs if they are still interested or are you just waiting for them to ask you? I give my eggs to friends and family myself, BUT right now I only have 3 hens laying so there isn't many to go around. I also give them to my backyard neighbor since I live in the city and they have to put up with them.

10. 32bantam

32bantam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Start saving some of those eggs for next Halloween. Then drive by those people's houses and......[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by