Angry Broody Hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arztwolf, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Why is it that every broody hen I've ever had seems to come of the nest to eat/drink/poop breathing fire?

I mean they come out ENRAGED at something! Their feathers are disheveled, they have a murderous glint in their eyes, and they peck any chicken stupid enough to approach them.

The nest boxes are in a clean, well ventilated, and quiet area. Two of the hens have successfully hatched out chicks.

Why are they so angry?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The hormones that drive them to be broody also makes them hyperaggressive. The hens needs to be able to defend her eggs and chicks from predators, so even the most meek hen will take on everyone for the survival of her offspring, or risk losing them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Good. I was worried that there was some kind of either mineral/vitamin imbalance or they were over stressed from how hot it gets here (over 100F).

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Nope, just a determined mommy.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    I wonder if Prozac comes in crumbles? They're all brooding side by side, so when i lift the coop hatch it sounds like a portal to hell :oops:

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by