We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Angry broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hennypenny33, Jul 22, 2019.

1. hennypenny33

hennypenny33 Hatching

Jul 14, 2019
    I have a hen who is hatching 7 eggs. She was brooding alongside another broody when her eggs started to pip. The other broody wanted to make trouble and the hen sitting on fertile eggs pecked at the two pipping eggs, tore open the shells and killed the chicks. It was awful! I put her and her remaining eggs in a secluded pen and she has since calmed down, but is viscous when I try to check her remaining eggs. When they peep to her she clucks back, but I’m very worried about when they hatch. She’s not giving me much confidence that she’s a safe mother. Should I let her hatch them and just keep monitoring her? I’m considering getting an incubator from the grange tomorrow as an emergency back up. This has been so upsetting. My other hen who’s gone broody in the past would have never harmed a chick. I’m very concerned for their safety.

2. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    I would probably take them, especially if she does it again. That’s my opinion, never had something like that happen.

3. hennypenny33

hennypenny33 Hatching

Jul 14, 2019
    I checked on her early this morning and another had hatched. She’s been talking to it and keeping her body raised so not to crush it. She let me take it out and look it over and when I gave the chick back she gently tucked it under her. I believe that’s a good sign. I’ll be monitoring her very closely over the next few days.

Mvan42 likes this.
  4. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Sounds like she might be fine, but yes I would keep an eye on her just Incase.

hennypenny33 likes this.
  5. hennypenny33

hennypenny33 Hatching

Jul 14, 2019
    She’s got the hang of it now! She loves her babies and is a lot less mean to me too. 2 eggs have hatched and one has a dime size hole. That chick pipped around 8am this morning. Is it normal for it to take them that long to hatch?

Mvan42 likes this.
  6. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Yes it often takes 12. + hours, the piping process takes a lot of energy. They build up their energy and start to zip. As long as it is chirping normally not historical it is fine.

hennypenny33 likes this.
  7. hennypenny33

hennypenny33 Hatching

Jul 14, 2019
    She now has 3 healthy chicks and is tidbitting to them I think they are going to be just fine. I do have 2 more eggs that are 24 hours past due. I know that they developed to lockdown, but maybe died after that. I hate to remove them, but they are probably not alive. I did the float test and they are floating at about 10% out of the water, but no movement. I’ll gibe them until the end of today and pull them if I don’t see any action. Thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: