Angry Egg Laying - Now With 200% More Broody!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Stacykins, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    So when two chickens want to lay in the same nest box, what is the logical solution? Wait 'til the other is done? Grumpily use another box? Peck the other until she hurries up and lays her egg?

Seems one of these hens came to the conclusion that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Yep, two chickens smooshed into one box. Thankfully they are both small, since even large fowl Araucanas aren't fat like a marans or an australorp (I can hear them yelling "I'm not fat I'm FLUFFY!). And they were miffed that I was so amused at their situation!

How I first found them
    [​IMG]

After I finishing laughing, they repositioned themselves (lots of angry squawking involved)
    [​IMG]

"Go away lady or I'll peck your eyes out."
    [​IMG]

If looks could kill, I'd be deaded a million times over.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have had three do that at a time. they are so funny. Does not seem to matter that there are five boxes, they want to use the same one!!!! Goofy birds!

3. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Love the last pic! MAJOR STINK EYE!!!! [​IMG]

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I've caught my Silkies doing this because two have been "playing" with going broody. I don't think they are fully committed to raising peeps just yet though....[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    They were mad because you were invading their privacy! [​IMG]

6. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Quote:HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW YOOPER !

How are YOUR birds doing during our BLIZZARD we are having til 7 PM TOMORROW evening ???[​IMG]

Mine LOVE this horrible white stuff and 45 MPH winds !![​IMG]

7. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    ladychicken&Ducklover :

HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW YOOPER !

How are YOUR birds doing during our BLIZZARD we are having til 7 PM TOMORROW evening ???[​IMG]

Mine LOVE this horrible white stuff and 45 MPH winds !![​IMG]

Happy New Year to you, too!

Actually, the blizzard has been kind to us near Escanaba, thus far. Bonus of being in the 'banana belt' of da UP. Only about an inch of snow fell this morning, and hasn't been windy at all.​

8. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Quote:Happy New Year to you, too!

Actually, the blizzard has been kind to us near Escanaba, thus far. Bonus of being in the 'banana belt' of da UP. Only about an inch of snow fell this morning, and hasn't been windy at all.

Im in Ishpeming, the " Snow Belt" , and it lets up, then starts back up relentlessly, but , it can only get better, but until then, Ill be Plowing, shoveling around the pens, and freezing. Im shoveling the snow up against the coops for insulation, especially since once these Lake Effect snows pass, we are looking at -15 wind chills. Brrrrrr.[​IMG]

I see you have turkeys.

What kind ?

Ive been looking to get turkeys, but Im having a hard time.

Im hoping to get Royal Palms.

DD

9. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Hopefully the weather starts to give you a break soon, oye!

I have two beltsville white turkeys and a blue slate. They're definitely a hoot! I got them as hatching eggs, one set from a guy down in WI when I was visiting Milwaukee and another from eBay. I like hatching, and at least with hatching eggs, there aren't shipping chick/poult tragedies.

So it looks like that brown girl has GONE BROODY! What a stinker! She only just started laying! So I went ahead and gave the nest boxes a thorough cleaning (since they'll still occasionally try and sleep in them). She was MOST displeased!

Before cleaning "Touch me, I dare you!"
    [​IMG]

Quite a bit of pecking later, I finished the cleaning and gave her back her wooden egg babies.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They act all mad when you are changing the shavings, but then they peck so happily at the new shavings afterwards! Pretty girls!

Nice pics! Good capture of stinkeye phenomenon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by