Angry Neighbor with a Gun (fence question)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Toast, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Toast

Toast Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2007
    We have horse/cattle fencing covering over an acre. There was a section where the fence was not flush against our building and the chickens escaped from there into our neighbor's yard. He was not happy. So we sealed all the gaps. The fences are 4 foot high. Do you think they'll be contained - the issue is could/would they fly over the fence? We've only seen them fly in our barn to their nest boxes. We're a bit nervous about letting our chickens out in the pasture now and need advice. We want to free range them but not have them EVER go into our neighbor's yard again.

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I think they would get over it if they wanted too. These chickens are rather resourceful when they want to be.

3. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    They can definatly fly over a 4ft fence. You need to put a top on it. I hate that your neighbor is cranky.

4. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Put an angled top over the fence (angled in toward you) or clip their wings.

5. Toast

Toast Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2007
    But since we've never seen them fly over any part of the fence, do you think they may be likely to? They only walk up to the fence and then turn around and walk around the fenced in area.

Would clipping the wings be a good idea?

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They may not ever fly over the fence but once someone learns how, the rest will likely follow. Would you really want to take the chance? Just because a dog has never been witnessed jumping or climbing a fence, doesn't mean it won't.

Wing clipping would keep the birds from being able to fly.

7. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    The only reason they have not gone over the fence yet is cause they have not wanted to. Plus they could just go through the gap.

You seem to have left out details about this guy and his gun?

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    How old are they and how heavy are they? My girls could fly relatively well when I got them (17 weeks-ish), but 6 months later I doubt they'd make it to the top of a 4' fence without some real motivation from the ground. Being red sex-links, they're considered a heavy breed.

If yours are a "light" breed, you might want to run hot wire slightly below the top rail where they are likely to bump it before reaching the top and return to the safety of the ground.

9. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    Even heavy breeds can fly.
    I have a big Jersy giant that hops right up to the roost, which is about 7 - 8 feet off the ground. As do the americaunas and sex links. My Barred Rocks fly like nobodys bussiness.

10. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Even heavy breeds can fly.

My standard Cochins second, third, fourth and fifth that sentiment. They can get all the way up into the barn rafters, about 10 feet up, when they're feeling motivated.

All it takes is for something to spook them into flying. Mine will do so when provoked by a big, scary field mouse.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by