Angry pekin hen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dukzzz, Feb 10, 2012.

1. dukzzz

dukzzz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    My two pekin ducks started laying a few weeks ago. Since my one pekin start laying she has been very grumpy. Anytime she sees us she starts quaking very loud(her im annoyed quak), she has also been a little less friendly. She gets very angry when we take the eggs in the morning. I have tried a few different things to stop this behavior but nothing seems to work. Additionally we moved from one house two another a few weeks before they started laying; could that be affecting her? We have moved before and all ducks have adjusted well before.

My neighbors are really starting to get annoyed. I don't get to spend enough time with my other two ducks in fear of annoying Nugget(angry duck). The other two love attention and I feel like I'm neglecting them. I don't want to get rid of Nugs, she is really a sweet duck deep down(and my first duck). Is this a hormonal thing that will pass or what???
    any help/advice would be most appreciated

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It almost sounds as if she is starting to go broody. When broody, they can become more vocal and protective of their eggs.

3. dukzzz

Jan 21, 2012
    how long do you think she'll be broody for. and thank you for the response

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Until the eggs are discarded (by her) or they hatch, she will be "broody".

My mallard hen got broody once and she was just one big cramp! After the eggs all got discarded she returned to "normal" (thankfully!)

5. dukzzz

Jan 21, 2012
    we gave her some dummy eggs to sit on for a while till she gets tired and discards them. She seems slightly happier. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by