Angry rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by northcoaster, May 18, 2008.

1. northcoaster

northcoaster Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Ohio
    We are lucky enough to live near a "living" historical farm. Today while we were watching a young girl collect eggs, a giant rooster attacked her twice! She was alright- but I'm new to all this and I didn't realize they could be so mean!

2. lilgreenchicken

lilgreenchicken New Egg

May 16, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Only one out of the 20 roosters we've had was ever mean. And boy was he! (I eventually had to give him away.) He was a turken, and I raised him from a chick. We named him Daisy Mae, because at the time I had no idea he was a rooster. Maybe he didn't like his name! He was beautiful and got along well with other chickens. At first he was really sweet, then he began to "dance" around me. Soon after, everytime my family or I went outside we had to carry a broom. We'd have to run from the car to our house. Our chickens are free to roam during the day, and I hated to keep him penned by himself. I wouldn't let my husband eat him, because every-once in a while, he'd sit on my lap and let me pet him. I gave him to a lady who raised turkens. He was one of the most beautiful roosters.

All my other roosters have been great. [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Please remember that a rooster is the same as a bull or a stallion only he comes packed in a smaller package. Roosters can be mean and very aggressive. Some can also be very sweet. That is why chicldren should always be supervised when working with poultry. A rooster in a fit of rage with long spurs can mame and leave fatal wounds if it felt threatened and began flogging a small child that couldn't get away.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have a salmon faverolle rooster that is sweet as can be and has never threatened anyone. He is the one allowed to roam the yard with his group of girls. My speckled sussex rooster is another story. He has popped my boys a couple of times and is kept separate from where my boys are. As soon as I raise up a suitable son from him, I am afraid he is destined for the stew pot.

5. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I just read on another thread that you were from Columbus-was this Slate Run by chance?
    I am shocked that they let a rooster out during times when families come through. I feel that is completely irresponsible and I hope that the little girl is alright. Instead of having a pleasant egg-gathering experience she had to endure this [​IMG]

6. northcoaster

northcoaster Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Ohio
    yes it was Slate run- and the girl was working there with her parents- she wasn't to little- I would guess 10 or 11- just collecting eggs in the coop - nothing out of the ordinary- but I'm guessing he just didn't want her in there

7. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Oh I see-thank goodness it wasn't a visiting family! Still...poor girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by