Animal attack! Need help!

affacat

Crowing
12 Years
May 21, 2011
Oregon (Northwest, Clackamas County)
IMG_20221215_090813814_HDR.jpg

This was either a dog attack or my dog saving her from something else. Not sure. My dog has always been good with chickens, even if they go for her food (which I try to avoid them being anywhere near).

Entire patch of skin just missing.

I put some

IMG_20221215_091135665.jpg

On the wound.

I have the chicken inside in a crate.

Is this something she'll come back from or is it mercy time?

I can get better pics of the wound if required. (I was trying to not bother her too much)

Is she in shock? Is she alert and able to walk? Put some triple antibiotic ointment on the wound now after cleaning it, and twice a day. Keep her in a quiet dim room if in shock, and separated from the others. The other chickens will peck and injure her wound more. Survival depends on if there are any unseen internal injuries or if any infection occurs. Keep an eye onnher wound, make sure that she is drinking and eating, and let us know how she gets along. Chickens will amaze you how well they can recover from the worst wounds.

She seems to be in shock. She was just sitting there even with our dog romping around her.

Both me and my wife don't think the dog did it, even though all evidence points to her doing it. But we did witness her just kind of playfully romping around her and we wonder if she smelled the wound and was actually being a good doggo. Also our dog could easily kill her if she wanted to.

Could a rooster do this damage?

She's currently in a dog crate in a dim room. I drip some of the medication above on to the wound. The label says to wash the wound clean with water afterwards but I did not do that because I was worried I would actually get dirt into the wound doing so.

Could a rooster do this damage?

She's currently in a dog crate in a dim room. I drip some of the medication above on to the wound. The label says to wash the wound clean with water afterwards but I did not do that because I was worried I would actually get dirt into the wound doing so.
Poor girl!

It's possible it could be damage from rooster claws/spur if there was a clumsy dismount and accidental slicing open. It's also possible from the dog or something else. Unless you see it happening it's hard to know.

If she's in shock, give her some warmed sugar water or electrolytes. Work on hydration.

As for the Hibiclens, I usually don't dilute or even rinse it with water. I swab/spray or pour it on, using it as a rinse to clean wounds. I've never had any issue doing this with my animals or humans.

I would trim some of the body feathers from around the wound so they don't get stuck in the wound. Apply a light layer of triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Very light.
I've had wounds like this under the wing from a rooster (I smoothed his nails after that episode and had no more issues). I did trim the feathers, but did not use triple antibiotic ointment since it was Summer (HOT!) and under the wing is already sort of a humid environment. I opted to clean/swab daily with Chlorhexidine and I also had Banixx that I sprayed on there. She healed quickly, but she was not ever in a state of shock either. So I lean toward the dog roughing her up but I could be wrong. Sometimes dogs squeeze.

Poor girl!

It's possible it could be damage from rooster claws/spur if there was a clumsy dismount and accidental slicing open. It's also possible from the dog or something else. Unless you see it happening it's hard to know.

If she's in shock, give her some warmed sugar water or electrolytes. Work on hydration.

As for the Hibiclens, I usually don't dilute or even rinse it with water. I swab/spray or pour it on, using it as a rinse to clean wounds. I've never had any issue doing this with my animals or humans.

I would trim some of the body feathers from around the wound so they don't get stuck in the wound. Apply a light layer of triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Very light.
I've had wounds like this under the wing from a rooster (I smoothed his nails after that episode and had no more issues). I did trim the feathers, but did not use triple antibiotic ointment since it was Summer (HOT!) and under the wing is already sort of a humid environment. I opted to clean/swab daily with Chlorhexidine and I also had Banixx that I sprayed on there. She healed quickly, but she was not ever in a state of shock either. So I lean toward the dog roughing her up but I could be wrong. Sometimes dogs squeeze.

How can I identify shock? She wasn't moving much and the dog was jumping around her afterwards. However she has eaten. So perhaps she was harmed by a rooster and then the guard dog was actually defending her and trying to help her? I don't know. It's been a weird day with the dogs chasing the chickens a little bit afterwards and I don't know if it's all related to the incident earlier. I have them tethered for now. They are normally very good dogs.

The bird will pant when in shock. Appetite is the next thing to watch. Feed whatever she is willing to eat until you’re through the crisis. I have good luck keeping a few different flavors of baby food with protein (fruit & Greek yogurt or fruit with oatmeal). The sugar encourages their appetite.

How can I identify shock? She wasn't moving much and the dog was jumping around her afterwards. However she has eaten. So perhaps she was harmed by a rooster and then the guard dog was actually defending her and trying to help her? I don't know. It's been a weird day with the dogs chasing the chickens a little bit afterwards and I don't know if it's all related to the incident earlier. I have them tethered for now. They are normally very good dogs.

Some signs of shock are lethargy, loss of color (paleness) to the comb/wattles, open mouth breathing, looking stunned or being in a state of collapse.

Eating a little is very good, it sounds like she's coming around. I'd still give a bit of sugar water or electrolytes for the first 24hrs, then offer some plain water. You can still make electrolytes available too.
Hydration is extremely important, so encourage her to drink. Offer her normal nutritionally balanced feed. It can be given wet (sometimes they think it's a treat!). Scrambled egg, tuna or meat can be given in small amounts for added protein and interest.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Some signs of shock are lethargy, loss of color (paleness) to the comb/wattles, open mouth breathing, looking stunned or being in a state of collapse.

Eating a little is very good, it sounds like she's coming around. I'd still give a bit of sugar water or electrolytes for the first 24hrs, then offer some plain water. You can still make electrolytes available too.
Hydration is extremely important, so encourage her to drink. Offer her normal nutritionally balanced feed. It can be given wet (sometimes they think it's a treat!). Scrambled egg, tuna or meat can be given in small amounts for added protein and interest.

DAY 2

Clipped feathers back as best possible. She is eating, drinking, pooping.

IMG_20221216_094402404_HDR.jpg

Sorry for the triple post, just trying to cover everything. Based on your description I don't think she was ever in true shock. She was absolutely still even when the dog was romping around her, and didn't move when I brought her in, but she was never panting, pale, or any hunt like that. So I think she may have just been very scared and reserved, or very light shock but nothing serious or life threatening.

I am not sure if the lack of puncture wounds is more or less evidence that a dog did this.

Our lady dog has been chasing chickens ever since this happened, which is new behavior. She used to do it only very very occasionally and only for a few feet if they got too close. We currently have both dogs confined and are getting a shock collar for training.

Back
Top Bottom