Animal control and humane society.

Luckybaby

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
My neighbor complained about my noisy roosters about 2 weeks ago. They are indeed noisy. Three of them crow all day long starting 3 am. However, I think they mostly crow from 3am to 5am because my other neighbor's roosters are crowing. Since 5 or 6 weeks ago, I put them inside the bucket, so that they won't crow from 3am to 6am, and crow significantly less during the morning hours. Since that time, I can sleep well. However, what I did is not enough, because they start complaining about 2 weeks ago. I don't really know a good way to stop them from crowing to the point that irritates my neighbor. My chickens won't crow from 3am to 5am unless they can hear other chickens crow. Also, I put more crowing roosters in the bucket since about 2 weeks ago. I don't think my neighbor is satisfied, and they might call the police, after thanksgiving, since that is the deadline. My mom told me, that I should let my noisy roosters be killed for food on Thanksgiving day, so that they will not call the police, and risk getting most of my chickens taken away. They are my pet, so I am attached to them. I ask my neighbor with chickens if they warn free roosters, but they don't want it, probably because it is not cockfighting rooster. I also, think that my other neighbor doesn't want to keep rooster as pet. I feel powerless and hopeless to save their life. My mom is more inclined to sell them than give them away for free, since she spends her and my dad's money for their food,water,medications. When I think about the times I treated them for eyeworm, digestive system parasites, and wound due to injury, and then think about their imminent death, I feel like I want to cry.

Does humane society accepts chickens, so that they can put it up for adoption. I think 2 of them are bantam old english game chicken, and the other one is a hybrid(one of the parent is a feathered foot breed). What are the chances that they will not be euthanized, in the humane society and the place where animal control put them.

If you really want to keep these guys, some people have tried building sound-dampening rooster boxes for their roos to sleep in at night. See here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792990/our-diy-rooster-night-box
Something like that, possibly combined with having this box in your garage, might keep your neighbors happy.

Another option is taking them to a vet and having them either caponized (castrated) or having crow reduction surgery. Surgery in chickens is risky, expensive, and you may have trouble finding a vet to do it. But it might be an option.

Possibly just bringing them in the garage at night would be enough to buy you some more time to look for homes for these guys, or depending on your situation and how much their crowing can be heard outside of the garage, it could be a longer term option.

As for animal shelters, I'm not sure. Every shelter has different policies regarding kill or no-kill. I know this is not what you want to hear, but there just aren't enough homes out there for every rooster to live out his natural life. Advertise them everywhere you can. Good luck.

If the law says you can't have them, for whatever reason, then you will have to get rid of them. If you sell or give them to someone, they will either be used for food or for training the fighting roosters; either way, they are dead. So, if they will end up dead anyway, why not do it yourself so you can control their pain and fear? Even the Humane Society will sell them or euthanize them, so they still end up dead. Very few people want a rooster to keep as a pet. If you love them, then I say do it yourself so you can ease their passing. Grieve their passing. This is a very important life lesson--animals are put here for our food, companionship, pleasure-- but sooner or later we have to decide how it ends. If you can't do it yourself, find someone to help you or do it for you. I'm sorry for your situation. A decision must be made. Do you want animal control to make it for you?

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time about the roosters. If you want some more information about the "no crow collars", you can read about them at this link:
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/chickens/No-Crow-Rooster-Collar-p1580.aspx

If you want to read about other BYC member's experiences with the collar, do a search for them in the search box under the logo at the top left side of the screen.

We don't have a rooster so haven't purchased one of these but a collar may be the solution for everyone in your situation.

Back
Top Bottom