1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Animal Control - My new BFF

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pbjmaker, Sep 3, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Well for the third time in as many weeks animal control showed up at my house today. Somebody doesn't like my chickens and isn't man or woman enough to come talk to us. What I have is totally within my rights and animal control is required to follow up on every call. So they will be out here EVERY time this mystery person calls.

The thing is every neighbor I have spoken to likes that I have chickens and a few ducks, whoever it is is not a close neighbor but someone that must live down the street or around the block.

I'm just getting sick of it and there is nothing I can do.

Sorry - just had to vent.

Maybe a full page ad in the paper saying GET A LIFE!!!!!

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Are you legal to have chickens?

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    maybe they are lying to you?

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Yes I am legal up to 30 chickens/quail/ducks/ferrets/rabbits etc. total. But no more than 2 species. I have 24 chickens and 4 ducks. Animal control actually finds it amusing. This time the lady used to raise ducks and loved mine. The last one walked away with 18 eggs.

I keep my roosters in until 9 am so they won't wake anyone besides the fact that I live 4 blocks from the airport that can be so loud the houses vibrate...

I figure I will just get to know the animal control people by name and we can all laugh everytime they show up.

My husband on the other hand would LOVE to "have words" with whoever is calling.

I have learned that is a man - so that ruled out my first guess.

I have a good neighbor who used to be a police dispatcher and she is trying to track who is calling us in.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Or it could be one of those that says they like chickens, but just doesn't want you to know it's them calling [​IMG]

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Nah - it is a man calling this much I know for sure. Next door is a single "old " lady (actually on both sides) next to her is her daughter. Then a vacant house. Across the street is an old man who used to raise chickens in California and thinks roosters make beautiful music. Next to them is vacant and a young couple who are never home. Then there is my police dispatch informant and two houses the other way is a widow. The people behind us are always feeding them and are appalled anyone would call. Then a guy who raised chickens in his backyard at one point but now has pigeons.

I told my husband to let it go and we will just deal with animal control everytime they come.

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Some people! .... why can't they let chicken keepers live in peace......

I would actually put a sign on the gate saying "It is Legal for me to have these birds"

[​IMG]

8. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Quote:I vote its the husband of the young couple who are never home.
    Yes, yes just make animal control your new bff. But forever is a long time

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    The last one walked away with 18 eggs.

[​IMG]
    ...are you BRIBING the AC [​IMG]

10. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    It would appear that way - and my husband made sure that he gave them to the guy and shook his hand right in front of anyone that could be watching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by