1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Animal Control question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Camelot Farms, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Does anyone know if animal complaints are confidential?

As in, can they tell someone who called them?

Just curious....

2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I think you would have to ask them. I believe it would be different in different places.

3. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    There are a lot of variables. The ACO in most cases, does not HAVE to tell you who made the complaint. A lot of times if the person making the complaint asks that it not be told, then the ACO can opt to not release the information. However, It is thier call, depending on the situation.

Rarely is it a good idea to tell who has made the complaint. That just causes trouble in the neighborhood. the fact that they know who made it is often enough. The real issue to an ACO is not who made the complaint, but how real the complaint is, and that it be dealt with appropriately and resolved.

I hope that helps.

4. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    They don't tell them here.. They just tell them that they have had complaints and if they don't do what they are supposed to do to correct the situation, their animals will be taken from them.. Nothing more, nothing less.

5. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    If it's someone that you have recently visited and does not know you well then their assumptions will go wild and you will be accused anyway. This has happened to me! If it's over livestock then there's not much that any ACO will do about it as per my experiences! Chicken are considered livestock in Va as per the Humane Society. Good luck!

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Funny I was just thinking that AC should be considered a Predator and/or Pest. [​IMG]

But, no, I don't think they tell around here... else I imagine Uncle woulda given them a piece of his mind back in the day...

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have heard that around here, you can choose to remain confidential and then the only reason it can be disclosed is if the person with the complaint against them files a suit and subpoenas the record of the complaint against them.

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Quote:When I worked for Animal Control, we would not tell someone who made the complaint.......however they could either subpeona the records or file a request for information (basically the same thing) under the freedom of information act, etc etc......all of our request went to the City Attorney to "approve"...so no idea whether they were actually released or not.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Unless your state has a law that restricts those records from release, it is public information and available to the public. The amount of hoops that need to be jumped through to get the information might be as simple as asking, or might require a forma Freedom of Information request.

In Arizona the only types of public information that can remain confidential are the personal health and employment information of government employees and communications of a government agency with an attorney on a pending or comtemplated action. Seems like I am forgetting something, but it is similar in nature.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My neighbors were told when I filed a complaint.Unfortunately if you send in a complaint with no name they do not act on it. Once my neighbors knew I complained they threatened to report me everytime my dog barked outside,lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by