Animal control Rescued This Guy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stephanie1992, Mar 22, 2012.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Animal control rescued this guy from bad living conditions and called and asked if i had room for him. i took him in. Hes a huge bird. He weighs about 30 pounds. I was thinking White Jersey Giant but his legs are yellow. What do u guys think?? Do white rocks get this big?? He got in a fight with my other roo so his combs kinda bloody

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if he is truly 30lbs hes a cornish rock cross (meatie) limit his food and he could kill over from a heart attack at any moment, lost my roos like this. make for good eating birds

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I raised a few cockerels similar to him several years ago. I purchased them from Sears, and I believe they were labeled as RockX. They were huge and bred exclusively for their breast meat. While mine never passed 15 pounds, they were a tall, big-breasted bird that resulted in a superior carcass at 16 weeks. Occasionally, I kept one for a pet and they were goofy. They were the big galoots of the flock.

4. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    Sears sells chickens?!?

5. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I don't think there's any way that rooster actually weighs more than 15lbs. Weigh him. ;) I always overestimate my birds' weight, too. I think he looks like a white rock

6. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Last spring I weighed mine- Two roos were 25lbs 3 hens were 25 lbs one hen was 20lbs and they weren't even a year old yet. I don't know what they weighed when they died. I have one hen left, and my scale is broke so I can't weigh her [​IMG]. So he might weigh 30lbs

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I believe you had cornish rock crosses that weighed that much. It's just that this guy doesn't look like one, and he doesn't look that big. ;) His legs look like normal rooster legs, not those short thick stumps cornishx's have.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Years ago you could buy chickens, brooders, incubators and anything else you needed for poultry from Sears. Back in 1920s they sold kits to make an entire family home! I bought a saddle from Sears back in the 1980's and had it for 30 years before donating it to a rescue.

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i did weigh him. he is 29.3 pounds. Hes very sweet. He looks nothing like the cornish crosses ive raised. And they all got to 16 pounds then there legs couldnt support them and i had to cull a few and the others died. I dont like eating birds i raise so i didnt eat them after i culled them. This Guys as big as a white jersey giant. but his legs are the wrong color. could be be a hatchery bird? I ave no idea about his background or his age. Hes not mean to the other roos or chickens. One of my roos attacked him. Hes very sweet. He follows me around and loves to be held. He walks like a normal rooster, all my cornish x birds walked funny.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Picture of my two roos before they died on me. They didn't have problems walking and were just like you say your's is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by