1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Animal cruelty? I think so!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countrygirl4513, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    As I was dropping off my son's friend the other day I was appalled to see the conditions that his dad's flock was living in. Ten, count them....10 roos and hens in a 4x8 cage, no shelter, just a couple of roosts for them to cling to so they didn't have to walk around in the mud and filth of the rain saturated ground!!! The stench was awful!!! I wanted to cry, then I got mad and wanted to turn them out to be free, then I wanted to smack the snot out of owner! My son's friend said he keeps them caged to keep the Mexicans from stealing them!! I'd rather see them in a cook pot than to see them living in such blatant neglect!! I consider this animal cruelty!!!! Why do people insist on having chickens if they are gonna keep them like this? My babes are blessed to be free range, fat and sassy, healthy and happy!! I just feel like going on a night maneuver to rescue those poor babes!!!! It breaks my heart to see conditions like this!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Did you talk to the owner? I have seen alot of times people just don't know. We have had some respond in shock after explaining the different methods of raising birds and the outcomes of nasty living conditions. Of course you get some that just flat out don't care. It's worth a try for the chickens to try to talk to the person.

Steve in NC

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Some people have animals just to "have" them. They don't give any thought to how they're going to keep them or quality of life. Sounds like a peice of work w/the Mexicans comment to his kid.

Edited to add that I think everyone should experience the joy of owning animals and the beauty of nature. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who can only appreciate animals & nature in zoo format. ie. in a cage, behind a fence - with no responsibility.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Yes, that is horrible. Not only is it cruel, it's racist. Maybe you could offer to buy them off of the guy?
    Unfortunately, conditions are often worse for birds in confinement operations. [​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I agree with Steve. Sometimes people just don't know. They get chickens thinking they will take care of themselves and see them as livestock only: just there for the end product - eggs. There is a fine line between ignorance and neglect. I would have a friendly chat with the guy. Just casually bring up that you saw that he had chickens, and go from there.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with you. Not sure if AC would do anything as certain critters are not under rules of abuse. But if you are aware of the veterinarian that can "condemn" a house/owner from having animals, then that could be a excellent route.
    They do diserve better treatment then that. All animals do.
    I look at some people that own other animals, dogs that sit on a 5 foot chain, a horse in a corral and never gets out for a ride or even a walk. Cows that muddle through mud/manure and get rot foot.
    A lot of people that do this have no self respect or care for their "belongings" as a pet.
    Like in this situation, they are objects that are owned and owning only means that, I OWN. Mine. Not thinking that giving them more respectful room to move, even by a few feet would bring a quality of life to the mentality of the whole.

I'd contact AC find out who the local vet is that goes to inspect (if its like Maine) and get something moving!
    You do this while son is at school, and no one needs to be any wiser at who "looked into this".
    Good luck!!!

7. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I think I would not want to draw this man's attention to me.

8. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    How sad![​IMG] I would definitely get either animal control or the SPCA involved! Try talking to him first, maybe you can offer him some money for them, then rehome them! I know you don't want to take them to your flock, but if you know someone who will keep them for the thirty days, or until you can find them a home!!

My Mom has this problem with her neighbors and their dogs! They are always getting dogs that they proceeds to tie to a tree and do not give food or water on a regular basis, and they beat the poor things. My Mom calls and gets the animal removed(eventually) but in a couple of months they have another poor puppy out there! It's so sad. I have often thought of going on night missions myself![​IMG]

9. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I wish that I could talk to him. My son's friend says he occasionally lets them out. I know by saying anything to him it would fall on deaf ears. I just wish people would get a clue. The man has had chickens for years so I'm told. You would think he would know better if that is the case.
    Don't take offense to the Mexican remark. Around here (the boonies) there are a lot of people from Mexico and they are great people! Extremely hard workers! I personally sell my eggs to a couple of families. But as with any race or ethnic back grounds you will meet up with people who have no scruples. Regardless of race. I have only had the privilege of meeting good and honorable people as far as Mexican immigrants go.
    But the comment does let you in on what I would be facing if I confronted the man.

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Maybe you can write him an anonymous letter and see if anything changes. List resources to back up your information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by