"Animal Cruelty"

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SillyMe, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SillyMe

SillyMe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    I have a close friend who often helps me with my other animals when they are sick. (30 cats and 6 dogs). I mentioned to her my plan for "laying hens and meat birds". She said " thats animal cruelty". I was taken aback at first then said "well I used to work at Purdue and it will be less traumatizing than that."
    She said again "its animal cruelty".
    I REALLY dont get it. Does she know where the meat in the grocery store comes from?
    I really am still in shock. What do you say to a person like this without offending her?

To add she is a vegetarian BUT she does cook meat for her DH and she does eat dairy.

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just say that at least you know how they grew up and were healthy before they became food. And let that be that, if she keeps up the stance, just tell her by even buying meat from the store, she's not helping out. Some people just won't understand.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    You can always tell her they will have a good life while laying, or in meat birds case, that they will have a good life to the END. Just dont get too attached to them or they will be around forever. DO NOT GIVE THE MEAT BIRDS NAMES

4. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I wouldn't pull punches and would tell her straight up she is just as guilty since she reaps the benifit of milk, and cooks meat for the hubby.

5. SillyMe

SillyMe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    Thanks everyone!
    I am just going to leave it alone.
    But now I know what to say next time!

[​IMG]

6. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    seriously this is a subject that i take to heart. i swear some people have no clue where their food comes from and as long as your animals are well fed happy and healthy than it should not be said that you are being cruel to animals.we raise dairy cattle and sometimes the way that we raise them people think that it is just wrong. we also raise some pigs and i hear people say some bad stuff about the stalls that they use for when a sow has her piglets that keeps them from stepping on or killing the little ones. The stalls are actually banned in some states but the thing is it is meant to protect the little ones because the sow steps on the little ones and kills them. I dont actually use the stalls but i can see why they do. I usually lose a few of them in the begining because they get stepped on. the devices do look like toture but most things that are used in the agricultural busniess are designed to help such as the one that i mentioned above.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Vegans do not eat milk, cheese, eggs, etc. because they feel animals are exploited for these products. There is a certain amount of 'cruelty' involved in raising and eating animals. It is why I have a farm, because I want to make sure they are well treated. But, the act of dispatching an animal is to some level 'cruel', albeit breif. But, it is a level I can tolerate and accept; and I know the crap people buy at Safeway has gone through worse.

I know people who are vegans, and if anything they are bright, concientious people. I just don't feel the same way. And I don't think any less of them or pity them. We're all wired differently.

8. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Well. I figure we've all got to go sometime. [​IMG]

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    take her to visit a large poorly run dairy farm with veal mixed in the operation and tell her it all or nothing I eat meat and drink milk but I would love to grow or raise 100% of my food when I have to chance.

Henry

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  10. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    I ordered some birds for meat and laying. My friends are a bit worried that I will be able to process the meat ones, in the end. They think I will have problems with it because I am an animal lover...

I tell them this...

As long as I know that they lived a happy (albeit short...for roos) life, were treated with respect & dignity and in the end I get a wholesome product (bird or eggs), I will have NO problem processing them.

I'll say "thank you" and mean it...just like I do with my birds now when I get those yummy eggs!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by