Animal Cuelty..just wrong and disgusting HELP!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JessaLynn, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I got to get this off my chest before I break down.I experienced the worst case of animal cruelty in my life yetserday when I went to go buy chickens from someone.I pulled in there drive way and there house is surrounded by trash EVERYWHERE.I was like O'boy.Then the lady guids me threw a make shift building where they kept some of the chickens they had.I walk in and it was a gastly site!!!!! I nearly threw up! No Joke! Half dead birds were flocking around us (starved) Bones were scattered about the ground and birds eating dead ones.10X10inch Slanted Cages hung from the walls with chickens cramed in them.No food no water anywhere! There was a single bowl in the entire place filled with sludge.The cages were stacked on top of one another with piles of poop on top of the others.Chickens with obvious health issues..swollen eyes,under weight,extremly small for age or under developed as you might say, or just over all sick looking period hunshed up feathers poofed out.I was so taken a back I was speechless.I wanted to cry.I never have ever experienced such neglect before.The lady was trying to sell me barred rocks.No I left with nothing in hand.I got out of there as quick as possible.I noticed a horse in a small dark room (half dead)ducks,cats,you name it! All in horrible condition!!!!!!!!!! It was so devastating! I could not believe they were that oblivious to the care animals require and NEEDED! Even basic food and water wasn't available for any!!!!!! I couldn't sleep last night just thinking about it.I want to call human society or something.Those poor animals! What should I do??? I'm just sick about the whole thing! I would have bought everything just to get them out of there but can't and I don't think these people will not buy more in the future anyhow.This has seriously made all my previous experiences with animal abuse look like they were treated pretty good compared to this.I'm just so disgusted.Who can be that heartless?? You really have no idea what I saw unless you were there.I can't even describe the conditions really in words. Thanks for letting me vent. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Call Animal Control. Immediately.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Call animal control today. You know it's the right thing to do, so do it.

4. Call the SPCA IMMEDIATELY!!! They need help NOW!!! Tell them EVERYTHING in detail that you just told us!!! You owe it to those poor helpess animals!!! Tell them that you want an update on the animals once they investigate(this just encourages them to do their jobs) and you will be calling back soon for an update! Also, you can request to remain anonymous!!! Keep us posted and good for you for doing what is right!!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I'm looking now for the number because it's a different county then ours.They are an hour away from us.Thanks for the support I'll keep ya'll updated.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Well, certainly you should contact your local authorities to report this. Sounds like these animals, and their human keepers, need help. Call your local police department or sheriff's office and tell them the same information you wrote here. They should be able to proceed on their own at that point.

I hope you disinfected yourself, your clothes & shoes before tending to your own animals after that visit.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Definitely report this. If the humane society gets you nowhere, call the sheriff.

8. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I did infact strip when I got home and gonna clean my shoes w bleach.I don't wear them in my coop but still doing it.Good thing my kids didn't go with me in there or that would have been a conversation that lady wouldn't have liked because my daughter is pretty outspoken so is my one son.

9. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    You know what?! I know that I'll probably get chastised severely for saying this, but I can't believe that you (the OP) thought about this all night long, and then wasted the time to come onto this board to ask other people for advice as to what to do! If you can see how bad the cruelty is, then I'm sure that you can understand that the very FIRST thing you should do is report these people. Then you can go to bed, and get on the computer, or have breakfast or whatever. But why make those poor animals wait for help while you debate with yourself what to do? I can't believe that you even have to ask. I probably wouldn't be so irritated about this, but it's about the 3rd similiar post that I've seen in a week, and each time the OP waffles around for an extended time while they "think about it". It's Asinine! Just make the darned call. Why would you even have to ask what to do???? What are you thinking?

And yes, someone will say that maybe the owners are having financial problems and can't afford feed and are at least trying to sell them. But, in the meantime the animals are suffering through no fault of their own. I don't care what the excuse is for them getting to the point where they are, someone needs to take immediate steps to stop it.

10. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I couldn't agree more curliet! Please by all means come and rant about these terrible people, but please do it after you have called animal welfare. I am so sorry you had to see this, I think you did well to keep your peace in such a situation, I would not trust myself to keep my hands to myself!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by