Animal Hoarder Chicken Ep. 1-14-11

Mattemma

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
Anyone watch the animal hoarder show on Animal Planet? Nothing on yesterday so I had it on that show.It was hours of people that had tons of animals.Usually(ok always) their houses were a mess. I see there will be an episode on 1-14 of a man who has 68(or so) chickens in his house. I have ONE hen in my house in a cage,and even that is a pain at times.

Looking forward to watching it and hoping he found good homes for his birds.They were very pretty.I can see how it happens.I always want more.Always looking on craigs at free chickens,rabbits,dogs...whatever. I have been good about not getting more animals and even rehomed 3.

I made dh watch a minute of the show to see what real animal hoarding looks like,but I suppose you can be a hoarder even with a few.

I saw a few of them, the one where the couple said they were running a rescue but actually were hoarding cats, like 70 + of them. Sad, because they thought they were doing good, but the cats really needed medical care, they had so many diseases. The ones they had gotten adopted out, like 3 of them, had died within a few months.
The one with chickens sounds interesting, because something about the smell of their poo in my house really turns me off.

oooh Ill have to put that on my calender to watch!! I saw a preview of a woman that hads 100's of birds shoved into cages and boxes in her house!
th.gif

The one I watched last night had a lady who had over 200+ cats in her house. The county decided she could keep 85 of them. What county does that? Around here, its like 4 or so, letting you keep 85 is still nuts.

I am recording the series, I decided to do it after we saw the previews of the guy with the 65 chickens in his house LOL.

Quote:
A guy at our church had a "crazy cat lady" across the street from him. She died about two years ago, but before she died, our friend counted the cats that were sitting still in the front yard. He counted 50-odd cats, and that didn't include the moving ones or ones in other yards. They caused a localized extinction of rodents and small birds.
roll.png
He said that after the old lady died, they spent the next year, ahem, "cleaning up" the cats. I just don't understand how anyone could WANT that many cats. I hate cats!

LOL funny how these Hoarders allways keep their 40 Bazillion animal's in their homes, this is just plain nasty/Gross. BTW even 1 house chicken is too many.

AL

LOL That would be Kern County out here in Cali! We were watching it too. Kern County is HUGE but mostly covers open space and tiny towns, and Bakersfield. I live in Kern County, my town has less than 1500 people in it.

We are looking forward to the chicken episode too.

As we were watching I hear youngest DD turn to her Dad and say "Are they going to take all of our animals away?" LOL....now I am more worried than ever! I said, "You can't hoard chickens" and then the promo for the chicken episode came on and freaked DD out!

A and E's 'Hoarders' show looks like it has an animal hoarder on this week, I think it is sunday or monday. The commerical showed what looked like chickens crammed in plastic totes stacked up in a shed, she also had goats.

Quote:
She was supposedly a rescue......and had facilities for special kennel licensing, which is why she could have more thant he standard 4 or 8 or whatever. The special licensing allowed for special inspections and rather than a "set number" allowed for Animal Control to decide how many that property could handle. I think she had close to 300......yikes. they were all in very poor health.

when I worked for animal control back in california (not kern county
wink.png
) we removed 300 animals for a local hoarder masquerading as a rescue. It was split pretty even...about 150 cats and 150 dogs. Nearly all had health problems, I believe a majority of the cats were put down, majority of the dogs were eventually adopted out or rescued, it took over a year though. On a sidenote, most "kill rates" in shelters are much higher for cats.......my old shelter had like 80% kill for cats and maybe 50% on dogs. But the sheer numbers of cats made the overall kill rate really high. Not to mention the 50% kill rate on dogs was probably over 50% pitbulls and pit mixes.

ANYWAYS, I love those hoarder shows! Both regular hoarding and animal hoarding. they always make me want to get rid of things/animals. Because i currently have 64 chickens and 4 ducks, i can perfectly imagine what 68 poultry in the house would feel like. YUCK! THey make my 1/2 acre fenced area a disaster, can't imagine what they could do to my house.

Now granted i love animals, and i do feed & take care of many stray cats, BUT NOT IN MY HOUSE! that would be just crazy! I have one quaker parrott, and hes such a mess maker im bout ready to make a bird kabob out of him!..... just kidding,
hmm.png
, I cant wait to see the man with 68
ep.gif
chickens in his house!

Back
Top Bottom