Animal in the crawlspace

bantam0907

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
The lady i babysit for has an animal in the crawlspace. We're not sure what it is but an exterminator said it was either a chipmunk, squirrel or vole. I need to know how to catch it! the catch the lady is a vegan so i cant kill it, i have a live trap for squirrels set out and baited and i t has been set off gthree times, peanut butter gone doors closed but still no animal!its driving me nuts! We even had one day were she checked it in the morning and the doors were closed but the peanut butter was still there, then when i got home about 8 hours later the doors were still closed but the peanut butter was gone! So i was thinking that its small enough to get through the holes in the sides so i completly enclosed it but now it wont go near the cage, im telling you this things a genius, so anyways does any one know any cheap ways to catch a small rodent without killing it?

Have the party with the house do her own pest control.

Traps only work if they force the animal to actually hit the trip plates in order to get to the bait.

Animals are frequently good at finding more than one way to get to the bait, some of them reach in and get it, that can cause the bait to be gone and the doors to be closed and locked.

If the animal is too light to trip the plate then they can come and go as they please and the bait will be gone.

If the animal is larger it is possible that they trip the plate, get the bait, but the door doesn't close and latch, the animal just backs out.

Get a good sized trap with a mesh no larger than 1/2 inch, make certain the trip pan requires a very light touch to set it off, then bait the trap, putting the bait in two places one just beyond the trip plate and the other on the very edge of the trip plate.

Lock and load.

You might also have some luck using a weasel box type of trap which is basically a hidey hole with a snap trap in it. But I suppose that is ruled out in this case.

BTW follow all laws in regards to the trapped animal in getting rid of it.

Encourage her to save a `shelter' cat. Once she's acquired her furry little proxy agent of torture and death, she'll probably feel better about herself and her biological verrmin control unit will be having fun.

MauMaoMouse1208.jpg

Last edited:
Bucket trap without water in the bottom.

Seriously? Save the rodents? Is the vegan aware that rodents carry diseases?

Incidentally- where there is one there are probably a lot more.

Good luck.

Biological vermin control unit!!! I love it.

I have one of those. It is a dachshund. My cat catches them and brings them home to play with them, and Lucky dispatches them in a single crunch.

Quote:

Last edited:
I like snap traps,but since you want to do a live trap for a chipmunk she can spend the money on a repeating house sparrow trap(50). I have caught 3 chipmunks in that trap.

I have a small havahart trap,but they always get away with the food.The sparrow trap works well. Personally I would kill anything in the crawl.All the poop and pee adds up.

My dogs love chasing small animals.They are more effective than our cats.

Back
Top Bottom