Animal protein or not

ThatGuy

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
I know when you buy food from the store it says no animal protein. So is it bad to feed them this cause i was heard that feeding chickens a little dog food keeps blood out of the eggs and that some farmers acctually kill some chickens and feed them back to the birds can you do this or not good idea?

Last edited:
I always give my hens cat food especially after they molt, it gives them a little more protein to help when the feathers are coming back in. I personally only by feed that says "no animal protein"because I sell there eggs and people want healthier eggs to eat. Plus animal proteins mean every animal part plus the kitchen sink!!! Probably just makes me feel better. I'm sure the chickens don't mind. I also heard that all the male chicks that are hatched go down on a conveyer belt into chopping blades and that is also turned into animal protein (told by a worker ther) Sounds so sick!
sad.png

Chickens eat animal protein all the time as insect mice etc. I would not want to give them back their own. This can transport disease back to them. I see nothing wrong with fish meal or solids as a protein source. Also they use Cat food without chicken additives for hens to help at molting. I use tuna or salmon for my setting hens to give them a bit of protein also at molting. Protein is not bad from animal sources if correctly used. Gloria Jean

A chicken is an omnivore, plain and simple. Turning them into pure vegetarians is impossible, because they will still follow their instincts and eat bugs, mice, worms and anything and everything else they can, so I'm not too concerned about what animal "parts" they might get in their feed.

I frankly wish my feed source used animal protein in their feed to a greater extent, quite honestly.

I have no idea whether dog food prevents blood in the eggs. Sounds rather like mythology or old wives tales.

No animal protein usually means that the feed has been bulked up with artificial amino acids. Your choice, but I prefer feeding my birds some animal protein...

Chickens do not get mad chicken disease.

They can and will happily eat chicken, turkey, beef, pork, worms, bugs, frogs, you, me, uncle charlie....they have an innate need for animal protein. They are omnivores...a little of everything makes them happy. Why do you think they get so excited when they catch a rat or mouse...or snake or frog? Cos they get the animal protein.

To my mind, it doesn't seem quite right to keep them vegetarian fed as a primary food source when they are not vegetarian by nature.

But, to each their own.

Totally agree with you Amethyste. My chickens get the contents of the "chicken bucket" every day. There all all the scrapings from plates, old stuff from the fridge, egg shells and any other stuff that gets dumped in there. I am practically mobbed when they see me with the bucket! I have never had egg eaters or cannibalism...I think it's cause they get their daily dose from the bucket! Terri O

Quote:
Not necessarily! Both vegetarian and non-vegetarian rations contain intact proteins. We still need the intact proteins for the remaining essential amino acids that are needed to support growth and maintenance. At this point we can not make a feed, nor should we, with only synthetic amino acids.

Purina Wildlife product line: Game Bird feed: Startena, 30% protein (animal protein/fat) // Breeder (Layena) 20% protein (animal protein). Not from ruminants. No plant protein:animal protein ratio on tags. Have to read the tags to find out that it does contain animal protein, as info. isn't provided in description on website.

Have always used Game Bird line for both chooks and turks (6yr). One bag had too many fines, but that was replaced by feed store, otherwise no complaints.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom