Animal Protein

Hannah15

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2014
I know that most(?) of the Purina poultry feeds are now all vegetarian. Many people state that animal protein is important for poultry, however. What is Purina's position on this, does this position vary based on the species of bird being fed (for example, I own peafowl and a turkey in addition to my chickens - all are fed together), and what is the reasoning for this position (type of research, etc.). Thank you.

The SunFresh line of Purina poultry products is all "vegetarian", as we have a significant customer base that does not want to feed animal proteins or fats to their birds. However, we have other brands (Home Grown, Country Acres) that may use animal proteins and fats. There is no doubt that, nutritionally, animal proteins are a much more complete source of the amino acids required in the diets of birds than are plant proteins. Vegetarian poultry diets are supplemented with individual amino acids to make sure these needs are met, and the bird's body really does not care if the amino acid is synthetically or naturally derived. The higher the protein (and therefore specific amino acid) requirement of the bird, the more supplemental amino acids must be added to vegetarian diets to meet the bird's requirements if animal proteins are not used. However, research has shown that equal performance can be attained using either type of feed, so it really boils down to the personal preference of the customer. Chickens are omnivores, meaning they eat both animal and plant foods, so they have no problem adapting to either type of diet.

The SunFresh line of Purina poultry products is all "vegetarian", as we have a significant customer base that does not want to feed animal proteins or fats to their birds. However, we have other brands (Home Grown, Country Acres) that may use animal proteins and fats. There is no doubt that, nutritionally, animal proteins are a much more complete source of the amino acids required in the diets of birds than are plant proteins. Vegetarian poultry diets are supplemented with individual amino acids to make sure these needs are met, and the bird's body really does not care if the amino acid is synthetically or naturally derived. The higher the protein (and therefore specific amino acid) requirement of the bird, the more supplemental amino acids must be added to vegetarian diets to meet the bird's requirements if animal proteins are not used. However, research has shown that equal performance can be attained using either type of feed, so it really boils down to the personal preference of the customer. Chickens are omnivores, meaning they eat both animal and plant foods, so they have no problem adapting to either type of diet.

Please supply more stores with these other brands. I've never seen nor heard of these other brands. And please get your suppliers to carry fresh feed. Your feed at three different stores has been two months to a year old.

Please supply more stores with these other brands. I've never seen nor heard of these other brands. And please get your suppliers to carry fresh feed. Your feed at three different stores has been two months to a year old.

Hi barred2rock! Thank you for your feedback. If you have issues with your feed, please contact our customer service representatives at 1-800-227-8941. Have a great day!

Don't give chickens too many greens because there eggs will stop and they need protein and calcium always (layers pellets) if you lack calcium put in a pot of yogurt (natural) you can tell if they lack it because there eggs be some soft shelled

Back
Top Bottom