Animal Repellers!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rocmoc, Dec 18, 2009.

1. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
  2. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I thought this would be a good topic since so many of us, including me, are having trouble with Predators. Am I going to be the first to test one of these things? Help, has anyone else tried?

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Never tried that product or any like it. The only way I have found to stop most predators is a good electric fence and a solid hen house. If that doesn't stop them, I call on my 2 good friends, Mr, Smith & Mr. Wesson. When they speak loud and clear, the problem is cured.
    I have been lucky over the years with no major coyote problems. Once a few years ago a pack came around because of a bad snow strom. I saw them come across the fire break on the nixt ridge over. Had time to get ready for them. They did kill one of my dogs that day, but not as many left as came. The next day, they only made it to the ridge. Of a pack of over 20 only 2 went back over the ridge. After that I could only hear them once in a while.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Pretty much same plan here as panner23 has. I have not heard of anyone using it either. There is another gadget made that looks like two red eyes. It is a bat operated pair of LED's and is mounted on a corner post of pen or tree trunk inside of pen at height of maybe 2 ft or so. They go on and off to preserve batteries. Supposed to keep other preds away because they think they are being watched by a bigger pred. Have read couple of good comments on this product. [​IMG]

If you have power at site, how hard would it be to have a transformer and several pairs of LED's mounted here and there? It would be really cheap to buy the components, but to make it blink would take a little doing with a timing feature. I am thinking of doing that around my run. It is electrified tho, which I count as far better protection. 120 v already there at gate along with two outlets. Easy to run doorbell wire here and there along fence to LED's. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by