animals in the chicken coop good or bad?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by texasrangers1, Aug 2, 2014.

1. texasrangers1

texasrangers1 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    I have some unanswered questions,
    1) does it effect the safety of the chickens?
    2) will it help the chickens or does it matter either way?
    the animals i plan to keep in their are rabbits and/or ducks, is their another type of animal that will be good to keep in their with them.

2. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Songster

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    You cant house rabbits with chickens, its terribly unhealthy and cruel for the rabbits. My neighbor houses 2 ducks with her chickens and one of them has killed a chicken or two, so I wouldn't really recommend that either. They didn't have issues for months, and then they did, so I don't know what changed.

3. J at Yoti Farms

J at Yoti Farms In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Wanamaker, IN
    We have 4 ducks with our 40 chickens and do not have any problems

4. texasrangers1

texasrangers1 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    does it depend on the breed because my neighbor has:
    4 Guinneas
    3 White ducks
    1 Mallard the mallard is the momma duck to the 3 huge white ducks
    6 Rabbits
    10 White leghorns
    5 brown leghorns
    5 barred rock
    4 columbian wyandottes
    20 buff orpingtons
    15 cinnamon browns
    37 assorted exotic chickens
    and they do just fine

5. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Songster

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    Ducks and chickens are ok if the run is big enough to stay dry with the ducks, at least 100 square feet per bird of run space so that the ducks can have their wet area but the rest of the run will stay dry. Chickens don't like a wet run but ducks do like it. Rabbits could also share the run but they would need a separate house that they can go into to escape the chickens and ducks, think pipes for entrances so the birds can't get in. A rabbits would also need the run to be dry and not muddy.

6. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Songster

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I have had chickens, ducks and guineas together in the same shed, with separate sections for each type that all opened onto the same run. Currently I have 18 chickens, 1 rooster and 8 mallard ducks in the same coop, and have another area in the same shed for my 7 pekin ducks. Ducks are much messier than chickens, so I would recommend keeping them separate from one another if you can. I also recommend not having water inside the coop with ducks - they will soak everything. I would not keep other non-bird animals in the same shed, the chickens make everything very dusty, which can't be good for other animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: