Animals that don't disterb neighbors. (livestock)

my silkie is a new mum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
We live in a neighborhood with 3 acres. Our neighbors actually love our chickens and their eggs! Well our silkie roo passed away and he was not really loud. We would really like to get another one. Maybe a big pretty faverolle roo. Are they loud and do they attack alot cuz our roo did. Oddly. We have one silkie hen and the rest are standard. Oh and I should mention that we have 4 silkie crosses. Will they be standard or bantam. I have also heard that banty roos are mean is this true?

My dad scared me away from horses when I used to love them. I took lessons and was really good at it but then people including my dad told me all these accidents about how they fell of the horse or got kicked. When I look at them I really think about how cool it would be to own one. I know all about them.

Ok so we really would like to live on a farm but can't afford a big one so slightly under 3 acres is as close as we can get for now.
wink.png

We live right next to a park so you never know when some snobby person will come along to watch a soccer game.

So does anyone recomend some nice clean, quiet, inexpensive, and not huge animals that we could own without anoying someone.

we like

Llamas
Horse
Turkey
Emu
Geese
Ducks
Goat (someone earlier said that they are risky)
Sheep (we really want fresh milk to go with our eggs)
Dexter Cattle
Donkey

Tecnically we are only supposed to have horses or other single hooved animals but we have a permit that says we can unless the neighbors get anoyed.

So tell me please!

What about rabbits.

Most of the other things on your list either have a tendency to escape unless you spend LOTS of money on extensively strong high fencing, or make considerable noise and/or odor.

Rabbits are quiet and unstinky and generally stay put.

Another issue to think about is, which animal's needs could you best fill. Some of the things on your list require special facilities or experience to really keep well and safely (safely for the animal, not just for you), for instance horses and donkeys and possibly emus.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Donkeys are VERY noisy. EXTREMELY noisy. Cattle are pretty noisy. I can hear my neighbor's highland cattle a quarter mile away. Doesn't bother me at all, but they are noisy. One cow is potentially more trouble than several, but you don't have much land, even for little Dexters.

Emus are not livestock, and not for a greenhorn. They can be quite dangerous and require expert handling and special fencing.

Geese and ducks -- geese are noisy, both are stinky/messy. How close are the neighbors to where you'd keep the waterfowl? Can you reliably contain them?

Llamas and alpacas are very quiet, and most people find them amusing/charming. Do not get an intact male.

You could also try hair sheep (no shearing) which are easier to contain than goats. Or a "hobby" breed of sheep like southdown babydolls, if you can get them sheared. Most people find them "scenic" and they aren't too terribly noisy except when you are weaning lambs.

Remember -- good fences first, then livestock!

Goats might be better than sheep if you want milk. I've never milked mine but Nigerians are a dwarf breed that gives lots of milk for its size. They can be a little noisy when they want attention, but are cute and amusing.

Quote:
99% of the time a person gets hurt by a horse its the persons fault..if you dont know how to read a horse it is best to stay away from them..more for the horses well being then the persons..but if you are scared of them you will also be scared of cows,donkey,lamas,and I tell you alot of sheep and goats are not all sweet and cuddly..

I have Llamas and the neighbor kids and my son show them at 4H Fair. All my neighbors love them. They are tame enough that I can let them run in the yard without being penned up while we are home.
We have 11 acres but they stay close to the barn most the time. I use to have a Daycare and the kids would go to the pasture just to walk them. I kept short leads on so they could lead them all the time.
I use to have 15 I am down to 6. I have 2 for sale they are intact males as I don't geld them until they are 3 yrs old. This is when they are usually done growing. Sometime if you geld them earlier they can grow long legs. Mine are all on the smaller size as the Breeding Male is a miniture. I take them to Nursing home and other places to visit. They are very clean you can take a plate of Poo and set it down when I get them out of the trailer they smell it and go. Then away we go into the building, in the elevators and down the halls to visit the rooms. The people love this. They don't go poo again until you bring them back to the plate.
They have poo pile in the feild within hours of a cria being born they backup to the pile and go.
Very Clean Animals
We have a pic of my alpaca next to the sign that says "Welcome to School"
They are so much fun and don't eat much and need very little room.
You can put 6 llamas to 1 horse for grazing area.
FYI Most ordiances don't have Llamas listed
Good luck with what ever animals you get as once you start getting a FEW more you will end up with a whole list of different animals at YOUR HOUSE

Babette

Quote:
99% of the time a person gets hurt by a horse its the persons fault..if you dont know how to read a horse it is best to stay away from them..more for the horses well being then the persons..but if you are scared of them you will also be scared of cows,donkey,lamas,and I tell you alot of sheep and goats are not all sweet and cuddly..

I know how to draw a horse. I can draw them perfectly, lol. My friend got bucked of one and landed into a tree. She had to get her face re done and was in a coma for 3 months. She almost died. Sorry. I really love horses and I know them very well. I Find most of them to be very nice but I just here stories and it scares me. I love friesians and if I had the money I would own alot of them, but if you check the american price. AAAH!

I know you love horses. Well, I boarded at a sale barn and all she bought and sold was Haflingers. They are known as the draft horse pony. Very mellow and loveable. Love being a pet. Very easy to train to cart. I never met one I didn't like. Never. I think that would make an excellent pet, now you got me thinking of getting one, LOL

I want a halflinger so bad!

My goats (dairy) are noisy. They let me know when its time to milk. They let me know when they are in heat. They holler if you leave them on the stand, even to get their food. (so they eat it while you milk, not while you clean the udders before you even get started
smile.png
) I've had neighbors show up (everyone's on 6+ acres) wondering if my goats were ok. I have Saanen/Nubian crosses.

I'm near a gun range which is noisy too.

My horses are pretty quiet.

Good luck in your choice of pets/livestock.

I have a very noisy house though, between the goats, guineas, chickens, dogs, and the horses have started to talk some. The pheasants are quiet and so are the quail. My brother honked the horn to tell me he'd arrived. I didn't hear it. I told my mom that I am getting some geese so that someone will honk back at him. My Gram likes to honk the horn too. If I'm outside I hear it.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom