Animals

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by karbear, Feb 22, 2011.

1. karbear

karbear Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Auburn, Wa
    I love having all my animals. [​IMG]
    But having to be the grime reaper just plain sucks! [​IMG]
    Baby chicks are so adorable and April is a great mama. I just can't believe she set so soon. [​IMG]
    I am definitely not going to incubate duck eggs this year. Not sure I could handle any bad endings. I must be somewhat used to the fact of life with the chickens now.

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

what happened?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    ?[​IMG]?

4. karbear

Jan 16, 2011
    Auburn, Wa
    We checked under the mama and one chick made it out almost all the way then died for whatever reason. Another chick was not right and could not stand and neck was all funny. So I had to put him down. I just felt that was the way to go instead of having the mom kick it out of the nest and have it freeze to death or have her peck it to death. I love having the baby chicks but sometimes....

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

that really sucks, sorry you lost the babies. was it chicken chicks or ducklings? One of my Muscovy girls is starting to brood now, about 10 eggs or so.

6. karbear

Jan 16, 2011
    Auburn, Wa
    Baby chicks. I am so attached to my ducks right now I don't think I could even put down a duckling. It is definitely sad either way. A part of animals and farming that isn't pleasant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by