Anitsocial "phantom" hen

Ole and Lena

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Wright Co Minnesota
We have a very vibrant flock of 20 birds. 17 hens, 3 roos (2 living on borrowed time waiting for a dinner invite). Mixed Barred Rocks and SL Wyandottes. Every night, one of our hens goes missing. She's back every morning before the coops opened up and occasionally shows up to mingle with the flock as we've counted 20 during the day. We've done extensive searches in the evening and cannot find her. All the other birds act normally snuggling together against the cold but the one is missing every night. What gives? Is she hiding/brooding eggs somewhere or what? Am concerned she will run afoul of a fox or coon one night out by herself.

Lock them all in together for a day or two! in my experience it nips that right in the bud!
smile.png

Yes, you probably need to lock her up till you break her. By the way, in your search, get a flashlight and look up. Mine can get amazingly high in a tree!!!

went out and looked with my birddog. Found some pheasants... very tempting with the .22 pistol on my side and them roosting on a low pine branch staring at the flashlight... but no chicken.

I've got some white pines in the yard, if she got to the first branch she could branch hop considerably higher and never be seen. Would be awfully cold up there though. Been low 20's at night here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom