1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ankle "might" be broken

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    well fractured in the very least.
    I am going for xrays tomorrow on it. Darn thing has been hurting since atleast January, but I think it was longer than that. Days just run into each other so I really have no idea how long it has been hurting me now. No idea what I did to it. Havent fallen, been stepped on by the horse, twisted it. Nothing. But there is some slight swelling.
    Stiffens up when I sit still for to long. Hurts like hell when I get out of the car after making a 15 minute drive to feed the horse. Mornings are heinous. Hurts all around the ankle, heel and well the entire foot.

The doctor today told me that depending on what the x rays showed I could be looking at PT. But that I should stop walking on the treadmill. Like that is going to happen! I will cut back some, but I am not stopping. I lost another 2lbs. No way am I stopping now.
    She asked how I was doing it as it is and i just grinned and told her pain is weakness leaving the body. Her reply was "Pain is your body telling you to stop" Nope.
    Then she suggested i find another form of exercise. Like swimming. *I glared at her* Or bike riding. Yeah. My ankle doesnt MOVE that WAY. It hurts to flex it. At least walking I can bandage it up tight and adjust my stride. Plus. I dont have a bike. There is no place safe near me to ride a bike and keep an eye on my dd.
    I do however, have a treadmill in my living room that is not going to become a clothes hanger.

I was hoping she would just look at my foot, read my age on the chart and tell me it was arthritis:p
    That really would have been ok. Oh and if they screw around with this too much(like they are known to do) I am calling a podiatrist in. Anyway. Going to take some pain pills and try and get some sleep. Meeting the kids teachers and classmates tomorrow at the Welcome BBQ. At least my neighbor is my daughter teachers aid. Thank the heavens for that one.

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

My Mom dealt with a fracture such as this, shortly after she began a treadmill routine.

I believe the term in a pathological fracture. The bone simply has a weak area that cannot withstand the extra force that is exerted on it.

Without knowing your medical history, it's hard to tell (I'm a nurse), but if you're older, it could be due to osteopenia or something of the sort.

Either way, good luck. Mom went through about 12 weeks of PT, and healed up nicely. She refused to stop her treadmill routine as well, lol. She was 55 when hers fractures, and she has osteoporosis.

Em

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    38. Still young. But my ankles have taken a beating from riding horses for years.
    All I know is that I cant stop walking. It took me a long time to get my routine "set" Plus. I have to walk around anyway. I refuse to crawl or scoot around on my butt.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by