Annie's thread- Five puppies! LOTS of PICS on page 10!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, May 17, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    okay so she was at five weeks on Sunday. The first picture is from last Wednesday, then the last are from today, Tuesday. Am I right? Puppies on board?

[​IMG]
    4weeks 3 days

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    today which is 5 weeks 2days

What a change in a week, Saturday my DH and I where discussing that she might not be. Now.... well she sure didn't eat that much!
    So those experienced in these things, puppies?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I sure hope so. Otherwise theres some alien beings sprouting in there.

3. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Unless she got into some really good food and ate a ton that sure does look like a baby bump. [​IMG]

They can grow almost overnight. My girl did.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  4. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Sure looks like pups to me! Congrats!

5. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    [​IMG] Yay! I just couldn't belive it, yesterday morning when I let her out I was like WOW she must of really pigged out last night, but no food was gone from her bowl. She ate her breakfast when she came in and her supper last night, but no more then then she should have. We went for a walk today, she loved it but I didn't stay out too long, its only 73 here but she was starting to pant so we headed back home. I don't want to over do it, and she will go all day if I let her, she loves to go for walks.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Showing nicely at 5+ weeks. How many are you prepared for? My Berta Brown did not show that much at 5 weeks and just whelped 7--Aunt Jayne did not show at all at 5 weeks and just whelped four.[​IMG]

7. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Honestly with this being her first litter I was hoping for like 4. But I guess I am as prepared for 10 as for 4. I have most of what i need and just need to get some clamps? I don't know where i get these but my book says I will need them or I can turn my scissors into them by putting tape on the blades, I would rather have the clamps if I can. Any ideas on what exactly those are or where I can find them at?
    We are still deciding on a whelping box. I had planned to just use the bottom half of a dog house. Its huge, plastic and has the opening for her to get in and out with a slightly raised bottom. I thought i would put it under the table in the living room (we use it like a desk, or a place to put things that i don't want to put away at the moment) it is where her dog bed has been since she was a puppy and now we have moved her bed to the kitchen (she has been having accidents at night) she will still lay under the table during the day. Now that we are considering a large litter though, I am thinking of just getting the kiddy swimming pool at walmart, its bigger and would give her more room. What are your opinions? I will take a picture and exact measurements of the doghouse later, I twisted my ankle a bit ago and its hurting to bad to walk right now.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't understand, why would you need clamps? Doesn't the mama dog take care of the umbilical cord and placenta? Mine did... [​IMG]

Best wishes!

9. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I don't often use clamps (hemostats). Sometimes tho, if the cord is left too long the mom will worry with it. In this case you can crush it with your thumb nails, and then cut it where you crushed it.

Definitely pregnant IMO.

10. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    thank you redyre, I just want to be prepared for any eventuality. I combined the lists found in four of my dog breeding books, to be sure I would have anything I might need. So fingernails work just as good as clamps? What if the cord is bitten off to short? I really like having the expertise of all of you. My breeder is a lot of help as well, you are just more reachable, and I think he maybe getting tired of my endless questions, lol, though he is very patient with me.

I have been present for a whelping on three prior occasions, all many years ago, and everything went very smoothly, so I'm hoping for the same outcome here, but just in case.....

Thanks again
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by