Anniversary Hatch nothing better than a fuzzy butt to say I love you.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skookumchuck, Mar 8, 2014.

1. skookumchuck

skookumchuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    Put 18 eggs into the incubator on the28th of February (mine and DW's anniversary). I was concerned that fertility might be a problem with my young roosters but the boys are doing their job we have all 18 developing, As this is a test hatch there might be some x-breeds as we only separated the birds into breeds 2 weeks earlier, so these will all be yard ornaments with the pure Chanticleer eggs going into the incubator when these hatch. I love having birds wander around the acreage so as they feed the local wildlife I will not worry that they are the pure breeds. kind of like planned obsolescence in chickens.

The incubator is a homemade one out of a Styrofoam box about 2" thick, 25 watt bulb as heat source, Johnson Controls programmable thermostat (brother in-law works at a lab) computer fan and a plexi-glass viewing screen. So far it has hatched out 95% so we are happy with it so far. I may buy a egg turner but just tipping the incubator side to side three times a day has been working so far. I just move a stack of books from one side to the other every 8 hrs. Will post a few pictures in the next few days.

Been keeping the humidity about 40-45% temp holds steady at 99.5 deg. F, just using a small bowl of water and regulating it with vent holes. Only 12 more days to go. Love hatching new chicks, my 9yr old loves it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. skookumchuck

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    [​IMG]

So far so good candled all the eggs and so far everyone is developing. only 8 more days and we should be overrun with little chicks.

3. pogmobum

pogmobum Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    Do you mean your going to just let the non pure breed ones get eaten up by wildlife? A little harsh don't you think or did i just read this wrong? :) lol

4. skookumchuck

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    No I try to keep them all safe but we do lose a few to predators. I never let my pure breeds out of the pens now and I love having free range eggs so my egg flock gets to wander around doing what chickens do best. Also I love watching them in the yard. I still hate loosing any but I would just freak if I lost my breeders it took a lot of time and running around to get them. After I get more of them then I will have some of them in the free range flock too. but I will always have the breeders locked in predators proof pens.

5. skookumchuck

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    All 18 eggs still developing hope they continue and I get a good hatch rate. The daughter has invited her friends for a sleep over on the day the chicks are due to hatch. It should be a fun day for the girls, better than watching movies.

6. pogmobum

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    Oh haha i thought from reading it that you were like throwing the mixed breeds to the wolves so to speak lol, good luck with the hatch the kids will definitly enjoy watching it :)

7. skookumchuck

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    Well this morning I went birds and to feed my . Chanticleer Rooster Jean Luc was dead, he hasn't been sick or anything. So hopefully I can hatch out a new rooster from this set. it now becomes important to get a good hatch.

8. pogmobum

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    I think this is the first time i have ever heard of anyone hoping for a rooster from a hatch, could an animals have gotten in? Weird that he didnt show any signs then just dropped :/

9. skookumchuck

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    not a mark on him, being French Canadian he must of just been too much of a lover and his heart gave out....lol

10. pogmobum

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    Good enough way to go at least, (shrug) ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by