Announcing my 4 new babies & questions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mourningdove, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hello all!!! Boy oh boy I am EEGCITED!!!!!!!![​IMG]
    This morning hubby and I went to a flea market and guess what he let me buy??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !!!!!!!!
    I have been wanting to add to my little flock and I just did!!!!! [​IMG]
    In 1 pen I have a pair of BBRed Game so I found a game hen perfect
    to add to my pair!!!!!!! Now I have my trio!!!! [​IMG]
    For my other coop I bought 3 more hens to add with the 2 roosters and 5 hens there!!!! [​IMG] They are 1 gorgeous RIR, 2 gorgeous Comets!!! I was feeling I needed to add to my flock so not only will I have more babies, I could hopefully start seeing eggs!!!! Low and behold when I was putting theese 3 girls in the coop and getting them settled I got a hug surprise!!!!!! One of my hens had left me an egg as pretty as any egg I've seen especially since it's been 2 months since any of my girls left me any eggs!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Now going off what all my BYC Friends have said I have placed my new BBRed Hen in a portable cage inside the BBRed pen so they can all get accainted and I have never seen Sid my BBRed Rooster do such a funny, gorgeous happy dance like he did when he saw her, it was like love at 1st site!!!!!!!
    1st question is when would it be safe to let her out in the pen with Sid & Edna???
    2nd question is more in depth...Since I have the RIR hen & 2 Comet hens locked in their new coop so they can get settled in and right now & the other 5 hens & 2 roosters are locked out, my question is my 1st egg was left in the coop so will this throw her offtrack by locking her out of the coop??? When can I let them all get accainted? Should I do it tonight? Or should I wait? There is a nesting box outside the coop where they choose to sleep?
    Have me make the right decission please!!!!!!
    Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!!

2. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    BTW who can tell me about theese 2 Comet Hens, today is the 1st time I ever saw them!

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    You should not put any of the new chickens in with your existing flock for at least 3-4 wks to be looking for any diseases during that time. I don't think your hen will be thrown too off track by locking her out though. First thing to consider over everything else is quarantine. I believe the Comets are similar to Stars from what little I know. JMHO [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes! Quarentine quarentine quarentine. Don't even track litter from the new birs to the old. Do it for at least a month, no anitbitoics, no drugs, no treatment of the new birds to let any sickness or disease show up. Check for mites, lice and so on. Then intergrate. Let them see each other, roam together, and add at night. All this after at least a month of owning the new birds and passing a clean bill of health. An ounce of prevention can be worth all the lives of the birds.

5. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I thank you for your replies! [​IMG] I knew that I would find the answers here. I did keep them seperated as I knew to do that, I sure is driving all the origal babies nuts I sure hope they settle down.
    On the bright side I got my 1st egg in over 2 months![​IMG] Oh BTW I told a friend today to check out BYC!!!!!!!

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    MDove. how lucky you are
    now thats what I call a great shopping trip.
    but do watch the new family members for a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by