Annoyed!! What to do??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by leahcim823, Jul 26, 2013.

1. leahcim823

leahcim823 In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    So we are raising meat birds with my father at our house, one of the birds isn't doing well. I know that you have some that die but we have yet to loose any. Well we have a rooster that is suffering, isn't eating and can't lift his head, I have been telling my father and husband that they need to process him before we loose him. But my father ( who has all the stuff to process him) says to just bury him if he dies!!!! Like really they have known he needs to be done for a week almost!!!

Ugh, just hate seeing the poor thing suffer. Think that's harder then processes them!!

Sorry had to rant!!! Bugs me!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Seems an awful waste to just bury a meat bird when you could easily process it a bit early.

3. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Songster

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    I agree with your father and husband, I would not eat a sick bird. It is one thing if the bird is injured, but when they are sick I just can't bring myself to eat them.

4. leahcim823

Apr 19, 2013
    Sorry, he wasn't sick, well he had a broken leg and I think he had heart failure. He died about 10min ago and they are going to processes him very soon.

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Songster

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Remember, you always have the option of processing him (or another bird) yourself. It doesn't take a lot of special equipment to do one bird.

6. leahcim823

Apr 19, 2013
    Yeah, we did him this morning. It's wasn't as hard as we thought, we plucked him by hand it was pretty easy. Alls good, he will be resting And going in the deep fryer tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by