1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Annoying chicken noise! What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tortega18, Apr 14, 2016.

1. tortega18

tortega18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    I have a hen who paces back in forth along the fence of her run making this loooooong noise! It's so annoying! It sounds like she's stressed or something. There's no grass in their run because they ate all of it. Could she be wanting the grass on the other side? I can't let her free range. What does it mean??
    I tried uploading the video but it said the file could not upload. It's like a long whining noise. I live in the city so it's not predators.
    It's like bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwk baaaawwwwwwwwwwwk bawwwwwwk bawwwwwwwwwk

It's not like there typical bawk bawk bawk. It's very deep sounding and long

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's complaining - she wants to be let out.

3. tortega18

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    But I can't let her free range [​IMG]

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    yep she is not happy.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Ah, a discontented hen, and she wants to make sure you know it. I bet she doesn't go on like that unless you show up. Chickens have individual personalities, just like people, and some tend to be more demanding than others. And they learn to whom to direct their ire.

Have you heard of flock scratch blocks? You can get one at the feed store for very little cash, but it goes a long way toward keeping chickens occupied and content.

You can also hang jumbo carrots and cabbages by screwing in an eye screw into the core and suspending it from something overhead. Chickens spend lots of time pecking away at all of these things, satisfying their urge to hunt and peck at large.

I guarantee if you do this, your hen will quit having so much to complain about.

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Put grass clippings, straw, hay, leaves, landscape debris, anything that gives them something to forage through in the run.

7. tortega18

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks! Yes she does it wen I go inside. I actually bought a flock block last night and will use it today :)

8. gratefulmags

gratefulmags New Egg

Jul 23, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    https://instagram.com/p/BEO1fv8zLD1/
    Hoping this link works. I'm having the same problem with a welsummer hen. She has a pretty decent area to roam with a few protected areas overhead, grassy areas, and a garden. She never makes a different noise either and we aren't sure if she lays. Lol. She sounds like a crying baby!

9. tortega18

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    Well the flock block didn't do anything! I'm thinking she wants the grass on the other side of the run! So tmro I will buy sod and put it in the run to see if that's what she's craving lol
    If that doesn't help, I might return her to her previous owner. She's very loud and I live in the city and she's very loud and Whiney!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she alone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by