Another 1st egg post (jumping on the bandwagon)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tool, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Its been a couple of weeks, and finally getting around to posting pics. We have gotten a couple doz since, hoping to be around 10-12 a day soon. Right now we are averaging 4-5 a day.

The 2 brown are number 1 and 2, the white is store bought to show size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far we have 2 shades of brown (light and dark), white and 1 off white "torpedo" egg. The torpedo was the 1st one I have found outside the nesting boxes. All the others have been in them [​IMG]. I believe the torpedo egg may be from one of the EE's, but did not see her laying it. So I'll have to keep a close eye out to see.

2. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Now to decide whether or not to keep the roo. I do not plan to hatch any eggs this year. Maybe in the spring, but I also like him so I am not in a big rush to eat him.... YET.

He has been actively trying to mate with the girls and I dont want him to tear them up. Here he is. RIR about 21 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats on the eggs!

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Wooohooo!! [​IMG]

Congrats on your first egg!

That first egg is always the most prized (and the most expensive). [​IMG]

5. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I finally had some time today to hang out in the run and watch their behavior before, during and after egg laying. What a hoot. I usually only can spend 20 min or so out there a day, and its usually after the few have laid. So it was cool. But boy are they shy when it comes time to lay.

I went out at 1030 this morning (I normaly dont make it out till around 2) and was dissapointed to find no eggs. Hung out and saw one Leghorn lay an egg, and one RIR preping to. In the end we ended up with 6.... First 6 egg day yet.

Once they get it down to an art.... with 15 hens I should have eggs coming out of my ears soon.

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

Ain't that the truth, so worth it!

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Congrats on those first eggs - you're getting some nice, dark ones. Maybe your roo will learn quickly to be gentle - not all roos tear the pullets/hens backs up [​IMG]

8. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] congratz on the first egg

9. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I remember those first eggs....it's so awesome......Congrats. Mine aren't always that big but the quality and flavor is so awesome it doesn't matter. I've been a serious baker for many years and everything is much improved with the addition of these eggs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by