1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another air cell post

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Ok, so my awesome assortment has me worried. I think the air cells are broken and maybe the yolk? I don't know if you can see the pics well, so here's my description. All my light eggs a distorted shape on the big end or a distorted shape on the side but nothing at the big end. Some jiggle and some have swirly stuff that well..swirls in the middle of the egg. What do you think? And if it is TAC, I plan on incubating just in case. But is there any recommendations on whats the best way to give it a shot? They will rest for 24 hours, but on another forum someone said not to turn the eggs for the first 3 days to give it a better chance. Is that good or bad advice. Any other advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    It wouldn't hurt a thing to put them in anyway and give them a shot.. I read the same thing about not turning them for 3 days.. So there must be something to it..

Edited to add: Good luck with your hatch!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

The yolk looks good in the bottom pic.

Questions..

1. how old are the eggs from being laid?
    2. where they shipped?

4. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    I have no idea how old the eggs are from being laid. I know the seller (from ebay) said her chickens are molting so it was going to take a few extra days to collect all the eggs. So I'm assuming some are a little older and some are newer. And the seller is in Arkansas. She sent them on Monday and they arrived around 2 today.

5. Baralak

Cool!!! Where are you BTW...

As with all shipped eggs, get you an egg carton, put your shipped eggs in it small side down and let them just sit there for about 24 hours... This will help stable out the air sac.

6. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm in CT. Just moved here from VA. I'm still getting used to the cold here! Hoping if any eggs hatch, they're a cold hardy breed!

7. Baralak

No doubt!!!

I've never been there before.. But I bet it is cold.. of course being from Louisiana, 30 is cold!

lol

8. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I posted this in another topic but will post it here as well.. Broken air cell does not mean the chick will not hatch... This is Miracle...

Her egg is on the bottom right (I kept her egg in a piece of carton so the air cell would be stable)
    [​IMG]

Here she is now
    [​IMG]

She did have problems and I had to help her.. She stayed in 1/2 an egg wrapped in a damp towel in the incubator for a few days but that was because of humidity issues in lockdown, not the air cell...

Goddess [​IMG]

9. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    Quote:Did you turn it the first three days? Or turn it as much? It looks like I'm gonna have alot in egg cartons. Oh well this is my first hatch...I will be happy with one hatch. Of course, the more the better! I just want to keep my expectations low, so I don't get too disappointed.

10. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:I "turned" it along with all the other eggsby tilting it from one side to the other.. If the egg was pointing towards me, I pointed it away from me and vice versa... I just made sure to always need to air cell on the top...

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by