Another angel wing question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kmoreau, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    My 9 week old Pekin has developed angle wing. She is going to the vet today to get it wrapped. I just want to know how should could have got this. I fed unmedicated chick starter, until she was feathered. Then I moved her outside with my male Pekin. I switched her to crack corn and lay pellets mixed. They also free range in my back yard. She didn't get this until about a week or so. What I am feeding now is low in protein. I just don't know why she developed this. When my male was a baby I feed the exact same thing with no issues. Also, if I get the problem corrected, could she develop it again later in life?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Angel wing only occurs during wing development. Essentially what happens is that as the long wing feathers come in, they are filled with blood and therefore extremely heavy. Ideally, the tendons and muscles of the bird's wing develop strength about the same time and are able to support the weight. However, sometimes either the feathers develop too quickly or the muscles and tendons develop too slowly, and the weight of the feathers pulls the "wrist" joint outward at that odd angle. Even when fed exactly the same diet, some birds will develop it and some won't.

As such, no, it's not going to develop later in life. And wrapping tends to be highly effective.

As to what could have caused it, could you clarify her diet? Was she eating straight chick starter up until a week ago? When did you switch her to the corn/layer feed? Nine weeks, by the way, is too soon to switch to layer feed, for future reference.

The usual recommendation is to start cutting protein percentage in the chick starter at two weeks of age. By nine weeks, they would be eating about 2/3 chick feed and 1/3 oats or wheat or other food designed to cut the protein percentage. Layer pellets should never be fed until right before they start to lay around five or six months, and cracked corn is good only as a treat not a diet staple.

I hope something in here helps you. Good luck--the vet should be able to fix it and she'll be good as new. [​IMG]

3. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Thank you for the food advice it's all very confusing, and excluding this website and it's informed members; there is limited info about ducks. Took her to the vet, turned out not to be angel wing, instead she just has alot of blood feathers coming in all at once on her wing and s unusual growth pattern, but will resolve in 2-3 weeks on it's own. Thank goodness. The vet also told me she was the cleanest and healthiest duck he has seen in a while. So that made me really proud. She was also excellent at her 1st ever vet visit, she even let them hold her and show her off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by