another aninimal protein question.

okiemamachick

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
Oklahoma
hello im trying to switch to a feed with animal protein and this is the only thing I THINK I can find locally (besides whats available at TSC) what do you guys think?

Crude Protein, min....................................20.00%
20eggpellet.jpg
Lysine, min.................................................1.05%
Methionine, min..........................................0.44%
Crude Fat, min...........................................4.00%
Crude Fiber, max.......................................5.50%
Calcium (Ca), min......................................3.75%
Calcium (Ca), max.....................................4.75%
Phosphorus (P), min...................................0.75%
Salt (NaCl), min..........................................0.15%
Salt (NaCl), max.........................................0.65%

Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Calcium Carbonate, Rice Bran, Alfalfa Meal Dehydrated, Animal Protein Products, Soybean Oil, Dicalcium/Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, DLMethionine, Dried Citric Acid Presscake, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Bentonite, Hydrated Sodium Aluminosilicate, Calcium Propionate(preservative), and Natural & Artificial Flavor Ingredients.

or maybe this with oyster shell added?

Crude Protein, min.............................................18.00%
gamechicken.jpg
Lysine, min......................................................... 0.80%
Methionine, min.................................................. 0.30%
Crude Fat, min.....................................................4.00%
Crude Fiber, max.................................................6.00%
Calcium (Ca), min.................................................1.00%
Calcium (Ca), max...............................................1.50%
Phosphorus (P), min.............................................0.60%
Salt (NaCl), min...................................................0.10%
Salt (NaCl), max..................................................0.60%

INGREDIENTS:
Wheat, Grain Sorghum, Popcorn, Oats, Corn Chops, Austrian Peas, Canadian Peas, Black Oil Sunflower Seed, Soybean Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Pork Meat and Bone Meal, Grit, Oyster Shell, Dried Skimmed Milk, Yeast Culture, Soybean Oil, Molasses Products, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium/Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Citric Acid Press Cake, Vitamin A Supplement, DL-Methionine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Oxide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Manganous Oxide, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Sodium Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Salt, Dried Lactobacillus Fermentation Products, Dried Streptococcus Fermentation Products, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Products, Dried Brewers Yeast, Propylene Glycol, Natural and artificial flavors added.
FEEDING DIRECTIONS:
Adjust amount of feed for the desired condition of the bird. Feed Oyster Shell continuous while using for breeding birds. Keep plenty of clean fresh water available at all times. Keep pens clean.
Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal Free!

gbbreeder.jpg

Guys i need your help...
I was reading some thread which imlpies that the chicken specially pullets need more calcium and protein content in their feed for egg production..
I gave these chickens mixed grain (mainly containing millet wheat lentis quoina pulses etc jawar corn barley etc ) but the young chickens could not eat those hard and big pieces, they only eat pearl millet and am giving them only pearl millet from 3 weeks to 19 weeks and as a result they are not laying eggs plus not a significiant growth ... I also gave them cooked wheat ( drown and soften in water i.e watery bread) and rice (but sometimes) i want to know what to give them so that their growth rate increases and also tell me homemade nutritional feed for chickens

What you are feeding is nothing more than scratch grains and should only be considered a snack which should not be more than 10% of their total diet. Plus when feeding anything other than chicken food, they need grit to help digest it. Are they at least getting to free range?

The average chicken will not lay eggs until around 20 weeks old but on the diet you described, I wouldn't expect eggs any time soon, nor would I expect they be in good health. I would recommend at this point to not try and reinvent the wheel when it comes to chicken nutrition and start feeding a high protein commercial ration. I wouldn't bother with a layer ration until they actually start to lay, but you could offer oyster shell for them to eat when they feel they need it. My local feed store offers an off brand 20% protein with 1% Lysine chicken feed cheaper than the more popular feeds like Purina. You could check with yours and see what's available.

You haven't done your chicks any favors by feeding them this way. I really hope they at least had the chance to forage some of what they need.

Last edited:
Guys i need your help...
I was reading some thread which imlpies that the chicken specially pullets need more calcium and protein content in their feed for egg production..
I gave these chickens mixed grain (mainly containing millet wheat lentis quoina pulses etc jawar corn barley etc ) but the young chickens could not eat those hard and big pieces, they only eat pearl millet and am giving them only pearl millet from 3 weeks to 19 weeks and as a result they are not laying eggs plus not a significiant growth ... I also gave them cooked wheat ( drown and soften in water i.e watery bread) and rice (but sometimes) i want to know what to give them so that their growth rate increases and also tell me homemade nutritional feed for chickens
Hi Mobi10,

At roughly 18-20 weeks of age, laying birds transition from the growth stage of their lives to the production stage. The primary focus for an adult layer (on top of daily maintenance) is egg production. For this reason, inclusion of calcium in the diet is an absolute must to support strong egg shells. As far as protein goes, since they are no longer in a growth mode, they actually don’t need as much – a 16% layer feed diet that includes calcium is ideal for happy, healthy hens.

It sounds like you have a lot going into your flock’s diet in terms of ingredients, but the diet is deficient in amino acids, minerals and some vitamins. Your birds may never recover their lost growth, but you may be able to support productive egg-laying. A sure fire way to ensure that your birds are receiving complete and balanced nutrition is to make sure that 90% of your birds’ diet consists of a complete layer feed. A complete layer feed is formulated to provide an optimum blend of protein, fat, vitamins and minerals as well as calcium to keep birds happy and thriving through their productive years.

From my experience, it can be very difficult to achieve optimum nutrition with a homemade feed recipe, simply because there is such a delicate balance of nutrients needed to keep birds healthy and productive for many years.

In addition to offering a complete nutrition profile, look to complete layer feeds to support digestive health. Check out this article by my colleague, Dr. Gordon Ballam on keeping your birds’ digestive system healthy. http://purinamills.com/animal-nutri...ry/keep-your-bird’s-digestive-system-healthy/

Back
Top Bottom