Another Barred Rock Sexing Thread

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jtm307, Mar 31, 2017.

1. jtm307

jtm307 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    [​IMG]

If someone asked me if these are pullets, I'd say, "Duh!" But the one on the left has thick white wing tips, has dark splash on her(?) leg that only goes to her ankles, and she stands noticeably upright already compared to her sister. Time will tell.

Here are the feet of the left chick:

[​IMG]

... and the feet of the right chick:

[​IMG]

I'll post better pics when I can take them. I like the threads that show progress so that's what I think I'll do.

1st pic is @ 2 days old.

2nd and 3rd are @ 4 days old.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Waddlein

Waddlein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Olympia, Washington
    I just went down to the feed store today and saw chicks that looked exactly like this. I just can't remeber the name It's one of those annoying things I feel I should remeber.

3. jtm307

jtm307 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    See thread title.

4. jtm307

jtm307 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    Here are some recent photos. This is the chick on the left (in the OP). Her(?) name is Volt. She's the one in question.

[​IMG]

Here is the chick on the right (in the OP). Her name is Ayn. She is very fond of humans. If I put my hand into the brooder, she's always the first to come, and very often, she hops right onto my hand. I'm sure she's a pullet. Her wings are almost all black with very slight barring.

[​IMG]

Volt's wing feathers are starting to come in. They're more black than white now, but her wings are growing noticeably slower than Ayn's. I realize these aren't the best pictures, but I posted them anyway. I'll post better ones eventually. [​IMG]

For the heck of it, here are a few of our other chicks...

Buffy
    [​IMG]

Henrietta
    [​IMG]

5. jtm307

jtm307 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    Here is a better picture of Volt

[​IMG]

Here is her wing. I'm almost thinking she may not a barred rock but a cuckoo maran, but I'm a first timer.

[​IMG]

6. Waddlein

Waddlein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Olympia, Washington
    opps, well its hard to tell they are really young wait untill they are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by