another batch from Meyer Hatchery

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mattsinger, Aug 21, 2013.

1. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    So I got another small batch of chicks from Meyer....3 plus their meal maker. The three I bought are Black Copper Marans. Any ideas what this other one is? Its much smaller that the Marans and more of a round body shape/
    Thanks for any ideas
    Matt
    [​IMG]

2. GreenEggsNSpam

GreenEggsNSpam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Edelstein, IL
    It is either a Golden Lakenvelder or it is a Golden Spangled Hamburg. But I'm personally leaning slightly more towards Golden Lakenvelder.

Great bird for a Meal Maker! I got a Golden Buff for my Meal Maker back in July. She's a great bird and I'm happy to have her, but I would of much rather had your pull! Much more unique. If it's either of the breeds I'm guessing it is it will be a white egg layer.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    What type of comb and what color of legs does this one have? I find it odd that they would put a 5lb at full grown weight breed (golden lakenvelder roosters weight when fully grown) in a meal maker.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. mattsinger

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    They tagged it as a female. It has yellow/orangish leggs. Nor sure on the comb... I can look tonight..moving my daughter in to college apt.
    Oh...and it looks more blueish/grey instead of black

5. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Yellow or orange legs take it away from a lakenvelder, who has grey legs with pink feet bottoms, or a humburg as they also have grey legs. It might be a gold laced wyandotte

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I don't think that's a GLW.

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Never had any gold lace wyandottes so I don't know, its the only breed I could think of right now that might look like that as a chick and have yellow legs.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    That chick doesn't match any of the breeds Meyer offers as 'broilers'. I think you just need to wait to see what kind of feathers he/she grows.

9. mattsinger

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    its not supposed to be a "broiler"... its an egg layer.

10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    The Meal Maker can also be an egg layer, not just a meat bird. It looks like its legs have a grayish hue, which indicates that they will change to slate as it grows. GreenEggs is probably right, either a Lakenvelder or a Hamburg. I'm also leaning toward Lakenvelder, as it resembles mine when she was young (she is a silver Lakenvelder, but had similar legs and a similar shape at that age). :)

ETA: I looked at Meyer's site. She looks like a Golden Spangled Hamburg, yellowish legs and all. Congrats! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by