Another Batch of Freedom Rangers Has Arrived

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Salt and Light, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Just picked up 27 FR's from the post office. I am also picking up 600 lbs of fresh ground 20% starter from a local mill. I've always used Purina in the past, so I'm curious to see any difference with this fresh-ground feed. Off the bat, it will save me about $1.50 per bag of feed. If I had bulk containers and a way to offload them, I would save even more money.

2. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so jealous [​IMG] Up here we can only get chicks ordered in (from the feed store) for a few months so no more meaties for me till late spring! I really did enjoy my 'heavy reds'.

Good deal on the feed!

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I've never tried the FR, but am thinking about trying a batch next year. At what age do you process and what are your typical weights?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  4. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    I have some on order for Dec. 1. Its my first time raising meat chickens. I've had it with what I see in the stores...

I hope they work out.

I'll keep things posted.

Sue

5. litterbitt

litterbitt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    West Central GA
    Quote:I got my 27 today, too! Let's compare as we go. I will feed a bagged 24% chick feed, and feed vittamins in the water. Did you get the all-boys on sale?? I did.

Liz

6. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
  7. Stefrobrts

Stefrobrts Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    I didn't want to get any meat birds until closer to spring. I was worried about them outgrowing the brooder and needing to go out on grass in the dead of winter. How old are FR when they are ready to go outside? I've heard the CX can go out at 3-4 weeks.

8. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I had mine out off the brooder by two weeks and then instead of a heat lamp I got some tekfoil or bubblewrap foil that reflects their heat back to them. Works fine. Had them on pasture when the temps were only 50 and with their tekfoil I made a 3 x 3 square that they could walk under and huddle and it was light enough to move in the tractor or pull out when not needed.

9. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Quote:Liz, I am feeding 20%, nothing added. I didn't get any specials. I paid $65.00 for the birds. How much did you pay?

10. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    The cost of feed is $10.75/bag. I could have saved a couple bucks having bulk containers. Maybe next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by