Another BO Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CourtK, Aug 21, 2013.

1. CourtK

CourtK New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    I have two Buff Orpingtons that are almost 26 weeks old. One is clearly a rooster and has been crowing and mating since 17 weeks. I thought the second buff orpington was a hen because she was smaller and didn't show the same qualities (large comb, crowing, mating) but as of last week (25 weeks old) the second orpington started crowing, and then yesterday I saw it mate with my most submissive Rhode Island Red. She/he has also been the most dominant all along, but I just thought she was top chicken. Will roosters mature at different rates and this late? I think I'm still in denial and hoping she/he is just a really dominant hen. What do you think?

This is my known rooster at 20 weeks:

[​IMG]

This is the questionable hen turned rooster at 25 weeks:

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yeah, it looks like you have two Buff Orpington roosters. Both of them have hackle and saddle feathers, irregular coloring (hens would be a more even shade), and large red comb and wattles.[​IMG]

3. GreenEggsNSpam

GreenEggsNSpam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Edelstein, IL
    Looks like two roos to me. Sorry. But I understand why you thought and hoped that the older one was a hen. I find it a little strange that the older one matured slower, too. But just like human kids, I guess they all grow and mature at their own rate. LOL

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x3 both are roosters

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've seen a lot of buff Orpington roosters on here that are really slow to mature. That's why I'm hesitant to tell folks their young bird is a pullet, cause some of these guys stay on the down-low for months and months!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by