Another Breed and Sex Identity Crisis

goldntoller

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
Hi folks,

Y'all must get tired of this LOL! I've had three chickens for about 3 weeks now. They were all suppose to be hens but what the heck do I know about such things - clearly nothing. One was to be a Chantecler, the other two are Australorps. The Chantecler was a year old, the Australorps 5 months and 6 months.

Well...I've yet to have an egg and someone is crowing. Hmmmm...not loud crowing mind you but definitely not a sound I think a hen should be making. So have at 'em. What are they and what sex are they? Thanks!

Donna

Your gold bird looks like a buff orpington to me with its white legs...and it is a rooster, he has saddle feathers hanging down his sides...one of the blacks is a rooster too.....he has those dreaded saddle feathers too....lol

sigh. I knew that would be the answer. It sure explains why I haven't had any eggs LOL I'm rather attached to the Buff chicken, he's very pretty and quite personable and friendly. I'll consider keeping him but the Australorp will have to go - no room for two roo's here! My idea was to have 3 or 4 hens only...no roo's. There go the best laid plans! Anyone in the Ottawa area want a pretty Australorp roo? LOL

Donna

aran I just took a close look at your avatar. Slightly disturbing.

goldtoller I agree roos! I feel your pain. I'm having the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom