Another Breed and Sex Identity Crisis

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by goldntoller, Aug 29, 2007.

1. goldntoller

goldntoller Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2007
    Hi folks,

Y'all must get tired of this LOL! I've had three chickens for about 3 weeks now. They were all suppose to be hens but what the heck do I know about such things - clearly nothing. One was to be a Chantecler, the other two are Australorps. The Chantecler was a year old, the Australorps 5 months and 6 months.

Well...I've yet to have an egg and someone is crowing. Hmmmm...not loud crowing mind you but definitely not a sound I think a hen should be making. So have at 'em. What are they and what sex are they? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donna

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Your two larger chickens, the golden one and the black one on the right in the second pic both look like roo's to me!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your gold bird looks like a buff orpington to me with its white legs...and it is a rooster, he has saddle feathers hanging down his sides...one of the blacks is a rooster too.....he has those dreaded saddle feathers too....lol

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I concur with that diagnosis, LOL.

5. goldntoller

goldntoller Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2007
    sigh. I knew that would be the answer. It sure explains why I haven't had any eggs LOL I'm rather attached to the Buff chicken, he's very pretty and quite personable and friendly. I'll consider keeping him but the Australorp will have to go - no room for two roo's here! My idea was to have 3 or 4 hens only...no roo's. There go the best laid plans! Anyone in the Ottawa area want a pretty Australorp roo? LOL

Donna

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    REEEEEEEEEEWSTERS!!!!!!!!

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Aran,
    Love your new avatar!

8. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    aran I just took a close look at your avatar. Slightly disturbing.

goldtoller I agree roos! I feel your pain. I'm having the same problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by